1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Map of America, based on wire service stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Researchers extracted the dateline from about 72,000 wire-service news stories from 1994 to 1998 and modified a standard map of the Lower 48 US states (above) to show the size of the states in proportion to the frequency of their appearance in those datelines ...

[​IMG]

http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/266-where-news-breaks/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

New York looks like a ribeye

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

That's interesting, but not really surprising. Do we know which wire services? I'd imagine the financial wires count for a good chunk of the New York. Even if it's just AP, there are scads of financial stories out of New York every day, plus the general "we're based here so this is where we'll do our trend stories" that make out to be the center of the universe.

4. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

And this shows what?

72,000 stories over 4 years. The AP moves more than 72,000 stories in a week. This does not compute.

Fun with numbers, bullshit methodology, with a cool graphic equals FRONT PAGE!!!

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, I know it's not that scientific. But I did think it was an interesting concept. That Strange Maps site is one of my favorites.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Dakotas have disappeared

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wow, there are more stories out of the major centers of population, government and commerce? Who knew?

If those other states want more attention, they're just going to have to rape a few more sheep or whatever it is they do there.

8. As a citizen of one of those sheep rapin' states, I take great offense to this comment. ;)

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You live in Canada?

10. Now c'mon. If I lived in Canada I would have written OH-fence.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas would've been bigger, but Jaime Aron's optionals never made deadline.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted