1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manziel to Receive 1/2 Game Suspension Vs Rice

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If this is true? The joint statement from Texas A&M and the NCAA didn't sound legit to you?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So what're the penalties for, say, having that sandwich named after you. Suspension for one series? Suspension from special teams plays? Honestly, it's as if the NCAA has decided self-parody is the ultimate art form.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has a player who was suspended for any reason ever won the Heisman that season?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Cam Newton was briefly declared ineligible, but never missed a game or even a practice.

Can't think of anyone else, though I'm sure Paul Hornung "broke training" at some point ...

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm probably the last person to figure this out, but the NCAA investigators aren't about keeping schools clean, but keeping players in line and from asking for too much money. They are like the cops that were used to break strikes back in the day.

6. Mizzougrad96

I think for him to have any chance to repeat, he'd have to play like he did against Bama last year in the third game and then A&M would have to run the table and even then, there would probably have to be nobody even close (like the year Newton won it) for him to win it.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Instead , I wish they suspended The Aggie 13 man for the season. It's gay.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nothing. Gilmore's just running his Twitter mouth like every other journalist these days.

Manziel, if he is to be believed, walked into a hotel room in a city not his own and signed thousands of dollars in memorabilia without an ounce of compensation. Of course, no one believes that. But the NCAA doesn't have a real paper trail to follow.

There's cases the NCAA never bothers to investigate because it knows it has no chance of proving it. And whereas, before, schools wanted to keep the news of a NCAA investigation secret, they're now telling the media, which, on a national level has morphed into the equivalent of Vietnam War hecklers ripping drafted soldiers upon their return to the states.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Would this Manziel compensation thing really have been that tough to prove? Why wrap it up this quickly? I know the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power, but people tend to wilt under some hard questioning. These guys were flaping their gums to every media outlet that wanted to write about it. Suddenly, the NCAA decides within a few days that it could never assemble proof? I, of course, don't buy it. And neither should any of you. They didn't want to touch this one with a 10-foot pole. Pathetic.

It was fun to listen to Jay Bilas tear Mike Golic a new one this morning on the topic of athlete compensation.

10. Mizzougrad96

They wrapped it up quickly because they wanted to wrap it up quickly. The NCAA is lazy. They don't want to catch major programs committing violations. That's why almost nothing happened to Oregon, when people thought they were in deep shit. It takes someone having inarguable proof (USC) or some insane level scandal (Penn State) and to a lesser extent (Miami) for them to do anything about it.

If the NCAA had suspended Cam Newton a few years ago, it would have ruined the national title game. If they had suspended Manziel for a significant period of time it would have ruined one of the biggest stories in the game this season.

If the NCAA was competent, they would not care about this.

But we all know the NCAA is a long, long, long way from being competent.

Gregg Doyel wrote a very good column on this yesterday...

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/23367123/manziel-has-texas-am-ncaa-running-scared-so-both-look-other-way-

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One theory - A&M's investigators gave the NCAA a list of other players who have worked with the same autograph brokers.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/08/28/source-re-manziel-a-client-list-that-could-have-turned-ncaas-world-upside-down

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I buy this all the way. Clowney's name came up a few weeks ago and South Carolina's internal compliance got away with a "move along, nothing to see here."

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2013/08/07/395240/no-violation-in-clowney-autographs.html

Draft saved Draft deleted