1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manny Ramirez Retires. Quits. Whatever, He's Done.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Apr 8, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re: Manny Ramirez Retires

Eh, actually, I'd like amend my statement. After getting caught three times, Manny can't be considered a Hall of Famer of cheating. An Alvaro Espinoza of Cheating, perhaps.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had forgotten that he was one of the ones who tested positive in '03 without consequences.

So, that's three times. I don't see how he gets in, unless years later they put in a host of steroids users from that era.

I don't think the current voters will put him in.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So you don't think Bonds and AROD get in? I'd take that wager.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think Bonds and AROD get in. I have major doubts about Manny now.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How do you vote for the other 2 and not Manny?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Drug cheats piss me off. I don't like Bonds, I don't like Clemens, I don't like Palmiero.

But Manny tests positive and I find it funny. Not in a malicious way, either. It just doesn't bother me the way it does with other players.

I'm not sure what that says about me, or about Manny.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what's so tough about all of this.

I don't think any of them go in. If you're not putting McGwire or Sosa in, how do you put them in?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

me personally, I'd put them all in. I don't live in naive Pollyanna land. The vast majority of the players in this era were taking something.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I will vote for Manny, and I believe eventually almost all the steroid-era guys will be elected -- one way or the other. MLB's not about to have five or six years where nobody's inducted. They'll take the vote away from the BBWAA before that happens.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is a fallacy here in defining "guys who took steroids" when what it really is, is "guys who got caught taking steroids." We know Manny and Bonds and A-Rod took them, but do we know Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell and Jim Thome didn't?

So I don't know how HOF votes can be parsed.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's part of my point LTL. You had to be either really dumb, really unlucky or really talented to get dragged into the steroid question (Manny was all three) Nobody cares what utility infielders are pumping into their systems.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It was only a matter of time until the "Everyone was doing it!" defense was used.

We can't catch every drug dealer in the country either, but that doesn't mean the ones we do catch shouldn't have to go to jail.

I'll never understand the logic of, well, if we can't catch them all, so let's not punish any.

If you have any interest at all in eliminating (or at least curbing) the use of PEDs, you have to keep those who are caught out of the HOF.

As it is, there is almost no tangible downside to those who consider using. Right now, if you use, the only real risk is some public embarrassment. The millions are there and aren't going anywhere. The HOF still means something to many of these guys. Take that away and maybe, just maybe, some will decide against using. Obviously it won't stop everyone, and some users will slip in, but why knowingly reward those who are PROVEN to have cheated?

Draft saved Draft deleted