1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manny being Manny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 18, 2007.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

And even the blindest minor league umpire would have ruled a home run.

If Manny had added, "..end of the world. There are people dying in Iraq every day," would he be a heroic patriot?

I wanted to kill my television watching Barry Melrose call out Manny today.

What is he hitting, .470 in the LCS?

It IS the end of the world.

/modified: That said, Manny should have legged that out.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

So, Boston fans aren't taking this too seriously.

The question is, what if Bill Callahan, Nick Saban, Lloyd Carr or any other big-time college coach said this? The fans would fucking riot.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Coaches have different standards than players.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Manny's a fucking space cadet. You can't take anything he says seriously.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Guys, quit bashing Atlanta.

It's a great SEC football town. Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina ... there are some great SEC fans there.

Just not any pro sports (or Tech) fans.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Shaggy, as the immortal Earl Weaver put it, "This ain't football. We do this shit every day."

You can't rah-rah your way to winning in baseball.

You do what you're capable of doing, over and over and over again. Manny is a hitting savant. He's going to go out there and smoke the baseball, and he knows damn well that's all he really has control over.

Trying too hard is the surest way to fail. Ask ARod.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

A-Rod also has about 6 more zeros on the end of his pay check than most of us. He also has a rather prestigious award coming his way if I am not mistaken, the AL MVP. He's done pretty well, just not in the playoffs.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Did you read my post?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring....

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sports talk radio foof in my town was trying to stir shit up with this comment today, and all I could think about was: If I had to give interviews in Spanish to Spanish reporters writing for a Spanish speaking audience and be held accountable for me tone, my humor, my failed attempts at sarcasm, and in some instances my grammar, I'd be in a world of hurt. That's why I still think Pedro Martinez is such a smart guy. To be able to joke comfortably, talk a little shit, act sarcastic and have fun with the media in a language that is not your first language is an incredible thing.

And while I'd love to give credit to Sox fans for showing a bit of perspective here, if this were four years ago and Manny had said this with the Yankees up 3-1, people would be throwing tiny fits all around the Hub.

That said, some in the Boston media need to learn to change up their gimmick. Winning in 2004 changed some things. You can't stir up neuroses as easily with the same old silliness. Even Dan Shaughnessey seems to get this. Check his column that ran Thursday. Manny's comments don't get mentioned until the third-to-last paragraph. If this were 2003, DS turns this into a metaphor for the Sox 86-year losing attitude. Now, even he confesses that even if you feel like Manny was like raising the white flag, 2004 proved it might be just the opposite.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/18/if_they_lose_game_therell_be_blame/

11. And four fewer than the Red Sox have won in THEIR existence. This is a dumb game. But please, continue.

And by the way, I love PhilaYank's (ostensible) logic: All I hear from three states away is bitching, so that must be the only thing people in Boston do...

Rrrrrright.

EDIT: My bad, I hate people who drag up posts from 10 hours ago. I just didn't check pages and times.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It was a home run, can't blame Manny for busting out the home run trot there. Umpires messed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted