1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manky's Playpen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Running Derek Jeter Thread Vol. 1

Playoff records are meaningless unless you compare them to the guys from their era. There are so many more playoff games now than there were when Mantle and Berra and even Reggie Jackson were playing.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Playoff records Mean Something!! [@Mark Lemke]

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

This point has already been made, but even when you compare to just his era, Jeter towers above all others.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm not understanding what this piece of the jeter discussion is an issue. are there really any folks who don't acknowledge that jeter was a key cog, offensively and defensively, for yanks in their slew of post-seasons? what's there to debate here? and for those who thrive on mocking his defensive prowess, can you please give me an example in which jeter's defensive 'limitations' cost the yanks a postseason run?

seriously, if anyone tries to argue any of the yanks' postseason success has come 'in spite' of jeter's defense they are dreaming. it's NEVER been an issue. i can't think of a single instance in which a play wasn't made that should have been leading to runs for the opposition.

so, why does manky insist on cementing everyone's view as him as an embarrassing jeter swallower by reciting his place in postseason record books? of course he ranks near the top in several categories -- he's played in more postseason games than anyone.

but neither should that fact be used against him by detractors. i mean, the mick holds the record for world series homers, a mark he was understandably proud of. and i don't recall many attacking it on the grounds of, 'well, sure, but he played in more world series than (almost) everyone...'

no matter. when in the postseasons, they (generally) came to the fore. and in short series, against the best pitching, it's not cumulative batting average that means a darn. it's how did whatever hit you had impact on winning/losing that game?

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I've never totally bought into the idea that Jeter's defense is poor. Baseball Reference has him at -14.1 Wins Below Replacement defensively for his career. But to accept that, I would have to have someone explain what a replacement-level shortstop would look like; and when were the ~14 games Jeter cost his team the win by errors/or not getting to the ball.

I agree that Jeter's hitting is better than his fielding (no he doesn't have 'great' range but it's not historically bad or even close). I also think his Gold Gloves are deserved, think about it, the word 'glove' is in it, when he gets his glove on the ball he almost never commits an error.

---------

Mantle's World Series home runs record will probably never be broken, but I guarantee you he would trade his career for Jeter's. One of Mantle's greatest regrets was not maintaining a .300 average for his career. Jeter is a career .313 hitter. True, Mantle does have 7 rings to Jeter's 5 but his career is not over, he could end up surpassing Mantle by the time he retires.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To be also fair to Rizzuto, times were different back then in terms of salaries. BaseballReference has him making $40K, $38K and $30K in his last three years, plus there was always the potential for World Series shares, which were something like $5K for the winning team's players. There weren't too many jobs he could have done (besides his eventual broadcasting gig), that would have made him that much money.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, there's a shock. You don't accept the fact that Jeter is a poor shortstop. This from the guy who worships Jeter.

And that last part about Mantle is just too stupid to respond to.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

It is well known that Mantle coveted a .300 batting average. Not saying his career wasn't as good as Jeter's, just that he probably would have traded all those home runs to have Jeter's all-around game.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're an idiot.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mickey Mantle = failed shortstop.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

agree with jc that 'you're an idiot.'

yes, mantle regretted that his last two seasons hangin' on cost him a .300 lifetime ba. ''cause, dammit, i was a .300 hitter.'

but to interpret that to translate to 'he'd trade all the homers for for more points in ba' poor that he'd trade his career for jeter's 'all-around game' is beyond absurd. no doubt mantle would've greatly admited jeter and envied his durability, consistency, yada yada, but he surely NEVER would've traded their pure talents.

at their healthiest best, isn't one thing as an offensive force mantle didn't do better than jeter by a country mile.

please, manky, do us all a favor and put down your pom-poms. perhaps they were reason for some amusement for a while; they passed embarrassing a loooong time ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.