1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manager, Media Relations - Boston Red Sox

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sports scrub, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why not?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, putting up with assholes like me, for openers.
    Seriously, it is an 18-hour a day job dealing with extraordinarily demanding people (not nasty, but demanding) both within and outside your organization. Moddy, I know you do game notes. Baseball game notes are, to me anyway, about the hardest, most thankless job I can imagine. Not to mention updating the stats on the Web site at, oh, 3 a.m.
    But most of all, being necessarily in the middle of the professional athlete-media member relationship strikes me as a good way to grow old before one's time.

3. Well Moddy will attest to this,

Game notes are mostly for the amusement of the author --- the manager and coaches might take a glance at them and the broadcaster will use some of the information in them

...but seriously, who outside the guy writing the notes cares that Player A is hitting .327 in 19 day-game at bats?

Also - no need to update stats on the website anymore. Thank you BAM!

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Cubby, the Red Sox PR staff has made game notes a point of obsessive pride since my first year covering the team, which was 1980. It's an institutional deal.
    More importantly, the media-team atmosphere around the Sox is intensely claustrophobic. There's a lot of Glenn Close-Michael Douglas in the entire dialetic between New England and the franchise. Being in the middle of that 24/7/365-well, no thank you. On the easiest side of the relationship there could be, columnist (didn't need to be nearly as obsessive as beat guys, and wasn't there every day), I was always sort of glad when the season ended, much as I love baseball.

5. Fair enough. I don't know how the Red Sox handle their PR department any better than I know how any team handles their PR staff outside of my own.

Obviously, PR isn't for everyone ... just as covering a team on the other side isn't for everyone.

...but... so you know ... Everyone is happier when the season is over! ;)

6. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Does anyone happen to know if there's been any movement on this job? I was watching MLBTV last night, they were broadcasting the Padres game, and the announcer was saying farewell to a person in the Padres media relations department, Leah Tobin, who he said was taking a job with the Red Sox. I'm just wondering if she's the one who'll be filling this role.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Leah's great. Very nice person. And a lot of reporters use game notes, and bitch like crazy when they're wrong (and depending on the media relations dept's work habits, it's often justified).

Draft saved Draft deleted