1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man who posed as high school player gets three years

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 28, 2011.

1. One of our former posters broke the story about Guerdwich Montimere, a 23-year-old Haitian man who posed as a high school sophomore in Odessa Texas.
    He got sentenced to three years for sexual assualt (sex with a 15-year-old) and tampering with governmenrt records.

http://news.yahoo.com/man-posed-texas-student-gets-prison-223047499.html

I think the sentence is a little harsh. I dare say if he was American and white he woulda got parole.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

These stories are always fascinating. I wonder if anyone has actually ever gotten away with this (that is, win the scholarship to a good college and graduate four years later?)

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

So, will he be elegible to play in college as an orange-shirt freshman?

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

He's lucky he just got three years.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The answer to that question would be yes.

in the teens, 20s & 30s it was common for towns to "hire" kids who had graduated from other high schools to come play for their high school.

A late family member of mine went on to play at a Southwest Conference school after finishing high school in one state then moving to a town in another state to play high school ball there during the Depression. He's in the second school's athletic hall of fame.

Played one year of freshman ball in college then enlisted when we entered WWII.

6. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

I think this was posted on an earlier thread, but GQ did a pretty phenomenal story on this.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201107/jerry-joseph-scandal-hs-basketball

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Those are reserved for soccer players. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted