1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man U vs. Man City

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll just call it "big-boy soccer." But that would omit David Silva.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you think what to call the Premier League is tough, what do you call the current name of Celtic League rugby? It's the RaboDirect PRO12.

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

What do you guys call the highest level of NASCAR racing if you don't want to use the sponsor name? I don't see the point in getting all over people's asses about using the proper name for a league - if we all know what you're talking about, what's the point?

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Well, me, personally...

HATE/DISLIKE: 1. Man U (as much as I hate the Yankees or the Raiders).

Something about Swansea has me rooting for them. Maybe it's being the Welsh club in the English league. Maybe it's pluckiness. I can't seem to put my finger on it. Whenever they're on Fox Soccer, I make it a point to watch. (Kinda wish I could understand why the hell they lost to QPR!)

The others: Meh. I've never been a bandwagon kinda guy, so I can't see myself getting behind Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, or the top teams just because they're the top teams. I've found myself kind of interested in Fulham, Stoke and Norwich.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Bubbler, I used to like you. And then you went and posted that about Southampton. And now I have to declare you dead to me. For shame.

Blackpool are in the playoffs as well, and I'd much rather see them come back and try and win every game 4-3 than have Birmingham come back and try to draw every game 0-0.

I should also say that I have no interest in seeing Portsmouth return to the Premier League any time soon. We've got to get our house in order before that can even be a consideration.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Grant it, I haven't seen many games...but how is Rafael a weak link? I thought him and Valencia formed the best right side partnership seen in years?

Also, I have to disagree that Man U defense is a mess at the moment. Can you elaborate your stance on that?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, the giving up four goals to a midtable team probably contributed to it.

8. micropolitan guy

Except for his lesser-talented twin Fabio, Rafael has started the fewest games of any defender regularly on the ready-to-play roster. Evra (24), Ferdinand (26), Evans (27), Jones (22) have twice as many starts, and even Smalling (12) has more. That would suggest to me SAF doesn't have much faith in the man, who the last I saw got beaten badly on one, if not both, of Everton's tying goals. If Vidic was healthy I suspect he might not even see the field.

Man U had a nice run of clean sheets, mostly against teams about to be relegated, or on the borderline. It has not fared quite as well against upper-level clubs, giving up three to Chelsea, four to Everton ... I don't forsee a blowout like earlier this year, but I do think City, which is playing quite well of late, could get three or four on Monday.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've got nothing against Portsmouth, I like them too.

I liked Southampton in the 90s when I first started following soccer because they played an entertaining brand of soccer, they had Matt Le Tissier, and The Dell was a super-cool stadium. Moreover, I have a soft spot for Great Escape teams, which Southampton was for a long time and probably will be again when promoted.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, Fratton Park still IS a cool stadium. The Dell's been replaced by a corporatist erector set. :D

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Man U came back and ended up with a 3-3 Draw.

Also, they did destroy Arsenal 8-2.

12. micropolitan guy

Back on Aug. 28.

Not saying Man U isn't a good team. They are. But right now they seem to have defensive issues and City is playing at a very high level, won't have Balotelli as a distraction, Tevez is back, and they are playing at home.

I'm guessing City 4-1 or 3-1.

Draft saved Draft deleted