1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man On Wire: The second-best film of 2008 I have seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Part criminal caper. Part engineering miracle. Part courageous act beyond comprehension. Part love story to the Twin Towers.

A guy walked on, then lied down on, then knelt down on one knee on, then sprinted on... a hastily installed 1-inch? diameter, 200-foot-plus-long cable connecting the South tower from the North.

There is a still of him up there with a plane seemingly right above his head... I'm still shaking.

Do yourself a solid and Netflix this French motherfucker.

2. Thank you, Simon.
    I saw this a couple of months ago and was flattened by how good it was. When the cops are waiting for him atop one tower, and he almost gets there and then TURNS AROUND, is what won it for me.
    Truly terrifying still photos.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yes, this is definitely worth anyone's time. It's gotta be a lock for Best Documentary, right?

4. Simon_Cowbell

The video of him in the police station rolling a cop's hat perfectly onto his head, along with the arresting cop's interview (in 1974), describing wide-eyed - almost as if he were child - describing how incredible the feat was.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Yes.
    But should be nominated for best pic.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The Wall-E dilemma: Push for the nomination in a category you're sure to win, or go for the brass ring and likely be disappointed?

7. Simon_Cowbell

True.

The shots of the workers on the Twin Towers were very moving as well.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Simon, what's you're No. 1? I'm sure you have it on one of the other movie threads, but I must've missed it.

9. Simon_Cowbell

1. Slumdog Millionaire
    2. Man on Wire
    3. Milk
    4. Frost/Nixon
    5. Tropic Thunder
    6. Religulous
    7. Gran Torino
    8. Benjamin Button
    9. The Dark Knight
    10. Vicky Cristina Barcelona