1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man goes over Niagara Falls and lives

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Mar 11, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Went to Niagara Falls 10 years ago on a school trip. Rode a simulator that takes you over the Falls in a barrel, which was pretty damned fun.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Junk but you have to explain that post.

You're being particularly enigmatic tonight.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Great, there goes one of my suicide plans.

4. urgrad2004

urgrad2004 Member

The loss to Siena in the MAAC final probably pushed him over the edge

5. markvid

markvid Guest

You have more than one?
    Young man, go post on Doc Talk RIGHT NOW!

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Oh, Doc already knows. I call him every morning to let him know I made it through the night.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Belatedly, that was classic, and probably could only have been pulled off by you.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

When Roger and his sister returned to the Falls, she was reunited with the two men who had plucked her from the brink, both of whom were in their 80s. Quite an emotional moment, as I understand it.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

It's a bright start to my day as I sip the morning coffee

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

So fucking solid.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, this is amazing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090312.FALLS12/TPStory/National

Hafen owns a helicopter company that takes people on trips down the gorge and around the falls. He volunteers to help rescue the idiot.

"He didn't want to be rescued. That's what made it so difficult," Mr. Hafen said. "He was actually shouting at us to get away."

So, Mr. Hafen tried another approach. With winds at 35 knots and waves swirling, he used the force of his helicopter's rotor to create an artificial current, pushing the man towards shore. "They were able to push the male back towards the shore just with the wind [from] the propellers basically, floated him back to shore," Chief Kane said.

Draft saved Draft deleted