1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man attacked on subway; bystanders do nothing to help

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wouldn't surprise me.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I just wanna know what schieznaizc thinks about all this.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Philadelphia: The City That Beauty Forgot

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Only in Philadelphia.

And was the killer named Maxwell?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Quality.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

A lot of the famouse Kitty Genovese murder story has turned out to be more fable than fact, but I think some of the research that social psychologists did after that has held up. And one of the big things, if I remember, is the bystander effect, the idea that if there's a large number of people watching someone being attacked, they're less likely to help than if one or two people witness an attack. In a large group, people might think someone else will help or think that there has to be someone who'll do a better job of helping.

Odd phenomenon. I guess the lesson is hope that you get jumped when there's just one other person nearby.

And Philly obviously doesn't have the Good Samaritan law that put the Seinfeld Four away.

7. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

My wife and I visited NYC for the first time in June and were surprised to discover that the city's reputation, at least from our experience, was unfounded. Whenever we asked people for directions — which was a lot — people were helpful and pleasant. We got the impression that people were just hesitant to become involved with strangers. Loved the city. Can't wait to go back.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

At least he didn't get his head sawed off.

(ducking)

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

apparently, there is no good Samaritan law in Philly.

"this is America, you don't have to help anyone if you don't want to." Jackie Chiles, attorney

10. KG

KG Active Member

That's what I think of every time I hear about someone being attacked and no one jumps in to try to save them. Then I think, would I jump in the middle of it? I hope I would, but I don't know if I would or if I'd freeze in fear.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That was the POV I was trying to articulate.

All these Buford Pussers on this board make me chuckle.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good thing Canadian fishermen don't act like subway commuters ...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/60977/

Draft saved Draft deleted