1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mamma mia!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Was never interested in ABBA music.
    Mrs. WSW and WSWette love the musical and the movie, and the music gets regular play on the family iPod, so I've come to know the music and movie quite well, and I quite enjoy both.
    Even though Pierce does, indeed, have a rough go of it. None of the males in the movie, actually, can sing very well.

But they're still not as bad as Gerard Butler trying to sing the Phantom. Oy.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Ditto.

3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

The cast seemed to have so much fun it made the movie work for me, despite Brosnan's singing. That, and the girl who played Streep's daughter - Amanda Seyfried, or something like that - could belt out her songs. She was the best singer of the lot.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Girl sexy, too.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

she's great in "big love," even without the singing.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Love ABBA. Hated the movie.

Silly. Overacted. Over the top. Didn't like Streep's friends (who got rave reviews from many critics). Don't like bad singers singing ABBA's wonderful songs.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I like Abba. I like musicals. But when Zombie Girl dragged me to see that movie last year I was ill-prepared for the amount of cinematic fail I would experience. The only thing entertaining about the movie was the group of gals a few rows ahead that got lit and sang along [the theater has a bar in it]. That movie is awful. I didn't think it would ever end. I thought it was longer than Shoah. Never again. Never again. And what's sad is that I will never go see the musical because of the movie. I'm not taking chances.

8. BTExpress

That's how my wife feels. I'm willing to take a chance on them (ABBA pun intended), because I think the singers would be better. But she's not interested in seeing it when it returns to our area in a few weeks.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Oh, come on. Take a chance, take a chance, take a cha-cha-chance.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was flipping through the channels and stopped on the HBO HD just as the movie was starting.
    I was surprised two hours later when it was over. The Greek Isles looked pretty fantastic in HD.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I love ABBA. "Does Your Mother Know" is probably my favorite song of theirs.

12. BTExpress

That Voulez-Vous album had a few nice songs ("Chiquitita") but was a little to disco-esque for me.

Couple of my underrated favorites are "When I Kissed the Teacher" and "Our Last Summer"

Draft saved Draft deleted