1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mall shooting in Omaha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 5, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You know I live where hunting is a huge part of the culture. My family hunts. My friends hunt. Hell, I've been hunting. I know nobody who uses an assault rifle on any sort of hunt.

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Assault rifles were not designed for hunting, and I don't know anybody who uses them. Bolt actions are big in these parts. You could certainly use one to hunt, but I don't know why anyone would want to. You are right in that they are not condusive to hunting. They are military rifles. The AK-47 was the firearm of choice by the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong, since they are Russian models.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They released photos of him in the mall, shooting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071207/ap_on_re_us/mall_shooting

As it says in the story, the pics contradict the earlier stories that he had a camouflage vest and military style haircut.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I'm not an environmentalist. I am, however, a conservationist.

And now, I have to bail. Inclement weather rearing its ugly head has moved basketball game start times up a couple hours.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

And remember early on, reports had said kids had been killed as well.
    It's amazing what needs to get corrected soon after.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why does it have to be an all or nothing situation? I'm not talking about abrogating rights spelled out in the Constitution. I'm talking about modifying our gun laws to allow for more responsible ownership, better registration and the elimination of certain types of weapons. Done correctly, none of those compromises would take away your right to own a gun.

Draft saved Draft deleted