1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Malcolm Gladwell: Former Big Tobacco Shill

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 11, 2011.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

No matter. I'll buy any book Gladewell writes. I don't care about the tobacco thing---any moron should know not to be using tobacco in the first place.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

This American Life had a pretty interesting piece on this very subject this week. It turns out the smoker thing is kind of null. The "benefits" in either case sort of equal out.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Does Entenmann's do anything but kill me more rapidly? No. Am I half-addicted to the crumb doughnuts? Yes. Do they have big warning labels on their boxes? No.

... just sayin'.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Eat right. Don't smoke. Exercise. Die anyway.

5. Did I miss the evidence in that article that he had received money from the tobacco lobby while employed as a journalist?

Because all I really saw was that he wrote articles that the tobacco lobby liked. Which doesn't necessarily make the articles, or Gladwell, wrong.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Huh?

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Doughnuts have calories, carbohydrates, fats, proteins and sugars that provide your body with energy to burn, among other things. Abstaining from eating to avoid eating poorly will kill you quicker than eating poorly. Abstaining from smoking will not kill you.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Ah, The Exiled. I try to read it occasionally, but it gets tiresome to wipe the spittle off my keyboard.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Malcolm Gladwell: Current Big Box Bank Shill

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/malcolm-gladwell-bank-of-americas-new-spokesman/2011/11/16/gIQAAE0ASN_blog.html?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

10. So I guess Christopher Hitchens was a tobacco shill too. He's spent many hours and articles decrying smoking bans.

Either that or he really liked his cigarettes.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Al Gore is still the leader in the clubhouse of tobacco shills.

Draft saved Draft deleted