1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making the Sports Information jump

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NQLBLQ, Feb 24, 2009.

1. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

After watching everyone lose their job / the entire world economy flip over on it's back - I've been thinking. Maybe I'll make the jump into the Sports Information world. Same basic idea, watch game, report on what happens. Only now, I'd have to line up interviews and make media guides.

Has anyone done that? Is it hard to wake up everyday knowing you a huge homer? I don't mean to offend, someone once told me that's what it feels like...

Thoughts?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It is not easy to do as you have to find someone willing to hire you and right now, nobody is hiring.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had a guy leave in October - he's not being replaced. Zag is right.
    Yeah, I feel like a huge homer. But that's what I am now. If I ever go back to newspapers - and I would if I trusted the business - I would go back to not being a homer.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I can't imagine it's that simple for a reporter to all of a sudden end up as a sports information director at a decent-sized university.

I always think back to those interns sitting in the office when I was in college making photocopies and drooling over the football players in between laying out pages on their men's tennis media guide.

Wouldn't anyone making that career change have to "train" as an intern, so to speak?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Waking up not sure how you'll make the next mortgage payment? Problem.
    Waking up everyday as an SID and knowing you're a huge homer? No problem.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Either that or maybe working for a junior college of D2 of D3 school in the middle of nowhere.

It's such a popular field that the hiring managers can afford to be very choosy and only take people who have been interns or otherwise worked in the field before. I tried going this route after four years as a sports reporter and applied to dozens of schools, some for posted positions, some for positions I heard about through the grapevine, others cold. The ones that called me back all gave me the same answer - get back to us when you have experience in a college sports PR environment.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

8. Of course, Moddy hasn't given you the full breakdown of what your new job entails.

[​IMG]

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Moddy, if it makes you feel better, maybe we can start a thread where you just bash your teams.

What's the worst that could happen?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Trust me, it gets HOT in there. That head is heavy.

11. Keystone

Keystone Member

I've thought about it, too, but then I see the ads and they're only looking for someone with "x years experience in a college SID office." I've covered plenty of college sports and have over 20 years experience as a writer, but apparently I'm disqualified because I never spent time as an SID.

(I considered making the jump about 10 years ago to an assistant slot at a CAA school, but changed my mind when I saw the pay.)

I remember when many SIDs were former newspapermen.

My wife, who works in features at my paper, applied for an assistant public relations position at a local D-II sized college. Ad made it look like she would be perfect for the job. She went in for an interview and the first question from the "search committee" (which included the school's SID), was "what is your media plan?" My wife was stumped, and it went downhill from there.

Obviously they were looking for a flack and not a writer. But, as has been said before, with the job market they could afford to be very, very picky.

12. That's a costume?
    Unpossible!

Draft saved Draft deleted