1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making the hiring process personal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigBlue, Jul 29, 2010.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

ace is exactly right. tell him you're already relocating to the area because that's only a partial lie. you'll relocate and quit your job eventually if the relationship is meant to be.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did you at least get to see her at the restraining order hearing?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Opposite take.... I would mention something like "personal reasons", simply to answer the question: "What the heck does a guy from New York want to move to Arizona for?"

I have seen in my own situations, and in conversations with sports editors, that there are far too many equally qualified candidates and geography becomes a factor. When you bring someone in long distance, it increases the chances he/she will feel homesick and leave, etc. Saying you have a reason to move sort of mitigates that part of the equation.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd consider that a partial truth, by the way.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but personal reasons makes it seem you are moving to be near the rehab center or something. I would say you are moving there and were delighted to see the job opening.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

agreed ;)

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'd be honest but brief.

My girlfriend and I want to get married. She's accepted a great job here, so I'm actively searching for a job here. The end.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

No, actually I thought of one more thing.

Propose already!!!

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So you are basing your decision to get married on whether you can get a job where she lives?

10. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Better hope the hiring editor doesn't read this site.

If he or she does, you might have already clinched them passing you over.

Does a town the gf moved to have a Carl's Jr? Perhaps they will hire you.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I agree with keeping it as simple as possible if you mention it. Not only could it seem desperate, potential employers can get the wrong idea of why you are there.

When my wife started med school some years back I had to move for her and thus leave my job. In my new town I got several interviews in a fairly short time after arriving. In my own desperation, which in hindsight was too thick, I made no secret what the situation was. I thought it would help my cause at the time by letting them know I was already living in town, would be for the next four years and could start yesterday, which all would offer the prospects of a stable employee. Instead it backfired. I'm pretty sure all they heard was "school" and thought I'd be leaving for the summers each May. I didn't consider that most people really don't know that medical school is a year round gig for four years, and even if they did, they probably don't care. I do believe I would have found a job faster had I not brought it up at all unless asked.

You want to stick out and there is a good reason beyond that it's just a job for wanting that position, but tread as lightly as possible.

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I completely understand your concerns, but I would leave it out in the initial process.

I recently underwent a similar process where my family was looking to move cross-country. I simply applied with the customary resume and clips package, but every time an interview came up, one of the first questions involved why I wanted to make the move.

That is the time to explain the personal side of things, but make sure you have other reasons, as well. Do some research on the area, and make sure Arizona is a place you'd like to at least try.

In our attempt to move cross-country we pinpointed a couple areas (Atlantic Coast and Midwest) where we felt we'd be most comfortable, then did some research so we could have other reasons to be excited to make the move.

I know in several cases, papers decided to go with local applicants. In the end, I was offered a job in an area we weren't as thrilled about. My wife and I re-evaluated things and decided to make a small move and stay put.

The tough job market doesn't help. It's harder to compete in a phone interview situation and that last job offer was the only one offering to fly me in for a final-phase interview.

good luck, but be patient with the process. Making a big move in this climate is difficult.

Draft saved Draft deleted