1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making the hiring process personal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigBlue, Jul 29, 2010.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury,

I come with a simple question, which probably comes with a simple answer - although it's not all that simple.

I'm a 29-year-old guy who's been in a relationship for three years with a girl who accepted a job in Arizona in January. We lived in New York - now only I do - and before her job came to be, we were planning on getting engaged. When she left, we obviously put those plans on hold.

I've been tipped off about a job opening at a paper out in Arizona in the same area and couldn't pull my stuff together and send it out any faster than I did. I'm curious, though - In the e-mail I plan to send to the SE, alerting him that my package is on the way, should I inform him of my personal situation, or is that way too much pressure, or too much of a burden, to put on someone making a hiring decision?

I feel like it would be a benefit to let him know that I'm serious about the place, the paper, the location, etc., and maybe a human side would give me a boost in the hunt for the job, but also feel like it's an uncomfortable situation to put the guy in if there are better candidates and he has to reject me.

Any help you can provide, either here or by PM, would be greatly appreciated. From reading this place a lot, I can tell you all will be able to help me make an educated decision.

Thank you.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You write that and I would think that you jump up and leave the moment she gets another job somewhere.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the move is a lateral move or an upgrade from your current position, I wouldn't bring it up unless asked. Who doesn't have a good reason to want a new job?

However, if the move is something of a step down in pay or prestige or title or something, I would let them know that you are relocating and that might give you a leg up if they think they can get a steal.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it hurts. When there are hundreds of resumes going in for every gig, it helps to stand out in some way and I'd find this one sincere. I look at it from the opposite side of TSP; I'd think perhaps you're looking to put some roots down. Not a bad thing.

Don't worry for a second about putting the SE in an "uncomfortable situation" if he has to reject you. He'll do what he needs to do.

Good luck!

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That thought never crossed my mind. I suppose you would probably need to say that you are committed to sticking in town and growing roots or something cliche like that.

BTW, some places will automatically toss you out for not being local. That's what we do at my shop. Maybe give your lady's address and lie like hell. Just don't get caught not being able to get a flight out there.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does the girl know you are coming out there or do you have to keep a certain distance away? If you use the girl's address, get a Google Voice number in Arizona as well.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mention the girlfriend in the letter, just because the SE might then wonder what would happen if you broke up. It's information that is a little too personal.

I would mention in the letter that you are already planning on relocating for personal reasons, and if the SE brings you in for an interview, that's when you bring up your significant other.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting BigBlue is a stalker?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do like this. Doesn't hurt to say that you are relocating to Arizona and were excited to see the opening. Would calm fears about paying for someone to fly in for an interview.

Also agree on not divulging too much on the reason for the relocation. The fact that you are moving -- or planning a move -- is enough.

Don't need to give the impression you are desperate to find a job to chase after your girlfriend.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're also going to screw yourself on pay if you tell them. If you're the top candidate and they know how desperate you are, they're going to knock $10,000 off whatever offer they otherwise would have given you.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Him personally, no. I just remember a guy I knew moved out of state to be near his girlfriend. The problem was they never dated and she didn't want anything to do with him.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mention a girlfriend in the area, but it might be good to say you have family in the area, and that that's part of the reason for your interest in that area and paper. That could lend you an air of real interest in that area, and give your prospective employers the idea of a sense of stability and longevity about you.

Draft saved Draft deleted