1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making adult businesses illegal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, May 11, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're not using Axe body wash or something, are you, A-A?

2. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

A church of genuine Christ-followers should never be concerned about where it is planted (well ... other than the middle lane on the interstate or directly over a toxic waste dump).
    Whether a church grows next to a strip joint or a strip mall, an adult bookstore or a children's bookstore, there are people in need all over the place.
    Jesus wouldn't have chosen one over the other. He was out there among the people, teaching them, eating with them, healing them, loving them.
    He still wants to reach EVERYONE who needs him - even the people who hate him or don't want to believe in him.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's odd, but my attempt at NOT using insulting language and to bring a little civility and tolerance has actually brought out more hatred, insulting language and intolerance.

See what happens when you tried to do a good deed?

I, however, will not be deterred or discouraged. I'm a better person than that.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No asshole, I mean Alley -- if you and others like you stopped trying to be the moral and civility and sensitivity police you probably would bring civility to the place.

I was trying very hard not to be abrasive for the past few weeks since that thread broke out but people like you just piss me off. Stop being so sensitive and you'll be much happier.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Rather than toss around rude terms like asshole, I'd ask you to please, y'know, refrain from speaking to me on the board since you're obviously confrontational and looking for a fight. I try to derive pleasure from my time on the board and you constantly being combative with me does little to enhance.

So from one adult to another, I'm asking you to just back off. Want to fight with others? Go ahead. Just leave me out of it, OK?

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The anonymity of the Internet is a wonderful thing, eh?

7. zagoshe

No that's where you are wrong -- I wasn't looking for a confrontation nor am I really ever looking for a confrontation. If you go back and look at the thread -- it was you who confronted me in a way that is never going to end good for you or others like you.

I have no problem with you or anyone in here until they take that "I'm morally superior and more enlightened than you" approach, then I just get pissed.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

It is extremely rare that I show my religious side, mostly b/c I don't want to come off as a bible-thumping zealot, but I think Bill has a point. If you believe in the teachings of the New Testament (not just Catholicism, but Christianity in general), you should remember that Christ walked among both the sinners and the saints, plus, weren't the sinners the one Christ was more concerned about helping? Anyway...

I really can't recall seeing a 13-year-old getting a lap-dance in a strip-joint, a 14 YO couple walking past an adult theater, look at it, then he bends her over for a quickie, or a dirty old man taking a young boy into an adult video store to molest him. It's safe to say that this argument is shot down.

With that being said, it's a matter of poor taste for either facility to open near the other. If the school was there first, the AE-establishment shouldn't consider that locale and vice versa. Additionally, why would either of the two be looking to open up in the locale of the other since the target demographics are very far apart. Can you see a Scores opening up in the middle of Alpharetta, GA or Westfield, NJ? I can't, and the same goes with an elementary school springing up on the Las Vegas strip or the pre-Guilianni Times Square. That's just my two cents, and I have been known to be wrong here and there.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

zagoshe is an adult? When did that happen?

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If you get pissed at something someone writes on an anonymous Internet message board, I'd hate to see how you react to things in real life.

11. zagoshe

Pissed is a figurative term and relative to message boards. I'm not like some of these losers who you can picture really do get pissed about this stuff.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Visit Wisconsin, just across the Illinois border. There's one every 150 feet for about 1 1/2 miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted