1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making a promo?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 8, 2014.

1. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

In what format is your footage? On a tape? Or do you already have it on a hard drive? If it's on a tape you'll need a deck (a camera would work for this purpose) so you can "capture" your footage.

Is that black bar for timecode (like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Burnt-in_timecode.jpg), or just a plain black bar? If it's timecode and on tape, like PCLoadLetter said you can easily switch that off when capturing from a deck. It's possible digitally, but it's a bit harder.

Also, in terms of software, if you're looking for something to do more projects on, you could invest in Final Cut X for about $300. Personally, I HATE it, but that's largely because it's not designed for professional video editors (for reference, I've edited for years on Avid and Final Cut Pro, and earlier via tape to tape, but those are much more complex and expensive than you would need). I've heard great things about it from newer editors who really enjoy the simplicity of it, so that might be something to consider.

In terms of paying someone, it's sometimes worth it. At my college, we do 90% of our own video production work (profiles, promos, development productions), but every couple of years we'll outsource a job for $15,000. It's worth it, because we save 100+ man hours, and also generally get a product with a very good shelf life.

2. The footage is one my hard drive.

Draft saved Draft deleted