1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making A Murderer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Dec 30, 2015.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Avery filed legal docs -- obtained by TMZ -- in which he claims brothers Earl and Charles may have done the deed for which he's serving a life sentence. He says both have a history of sexually assaulting women. Earl once pled no contest to sexually assaulting his 2 daughters.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/06/steven-avery-brothers-murder-teresa-halbach/

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. And, actually, I think all four of them are Avery family members.

It's Steven's two brothers (less likely in my opinion), and then the nephew Bobby and his step-father, who alibi each other.

I guess this is possible. It would be really fucked up. And, it would mean that Steven's parents still would have to deal with the idea that a family member killed this girl on their property.

3. YankeeFan

Partially explains the email Brendan's lawyer's "investigator" sent, where he blasts the whole family. He references incest in it.

4. YankeeFan

If a family member killed her, you could see how/why the killer might have framed Steven. It could even explain how the key was found in his room at a later date. (i.e. the killer, and not the cops could have planted it.)

But, wow, would that be fucked up.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Fucked-up families? In America? Balderdash!

6. This sums my thoughts really well.

Steven Avery Is Guilty As Hell

There were absolutely some issues with the investigation. The Dassey interrogation was horrible. No question, but you are not going to convince me Steven Avery is innocent of the murder. Is there some doubt? Yes. Enough to let him out of prison of give him a new trial? No. No. No.

To believe Avery is innocent you need a tin foil hat, because you have bought into a huge conspiracy theory hinges on the collaborative efforts of two police departments, two DAs, and an forensic scientist (the bullet with Avery's DNA was also linked to his gun).

This shit that Avery's attorneys are NOW pointing the finger at his brothers - a decade after the fact? Come the fuck on.

This documentary is one-sided garbage. They didn't even attempt to consider the idea Avery may have done this. They blurred relevant parts of this story and flat out ignored others that paint Avery (likely) guilty.

This is the clincher for me:

Gutter, old_tony and TyWebb like this.
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I love it!

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm four episodes in, but I'm losing interest pretty fast based on all of these reports (and my early impression) that suggest the narrative is pretty one-sided. Plus, all the damn subtitles are forcing me to get off the couch to read them. Makes it hard to get my lazy on.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You guys, help is on the way. I'll watch it and read the other materials over the next few days. I'll be able to tell whether he did it or not.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, Cran. Go get yourself one of those big, fancy flat-screen tee vees. At your age, go ahead and spring for the 65-inch TV. :)

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At work, we were hired to re-investigate a bunch of homicides, as an independent arbiter. The format we wrote the various reports, ultimately, was that we gave the narrative, built from both the initial recorded evidence and follow-up interviews we conducted. Then we gave reasons that weighed in favor of guilt and reasons that weighed in favor of innocence, based upon what we had learned. Ultimately we made the conclusion, but we provided the client with all a balanced report, to the extent it could possibly be balanced. Documentarians, like lawyers in most instances, are actually taught to be advocates for a position. I always figure there's more to the story, whether it's "Paradise Lost" or "Hillary Clinton Is An Evil Bitch Lesbian Who Killed Vince Foster."

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ha. There's literally no place in my living room for a bigger screen than we have now. It would block the entrance to the sun room and/or the front-facing windows. It has to wait until I finish the basement.

Draft saved Draft deleted