1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major storms hitting Kansas - major damage in Greensburg, Kan.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, May 5, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

http://www.kansas.com/197/story/62356.html

No deaths reported yet. Storm not slowing down. Getting ready to hit another small town. TV reports from Greensburg seem pretty scary.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Small town of Macksville, Kan. has just been hit. This one doesn't sound good either.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just turned on weather channel and there seems to be no sense of urgency... hope this works out for you.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm safe ... but they are already reporting dozens of injuries (not sure how serious) and serious damage. TV reporter was cracking up while on the cell phone. I know these little towns pretty well, and they'll never be the same.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Was just through Macksville last week.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A two-mile-wide path? This sounds like an F5, the finger of God.

The full extent of the damage won't be known until daylight.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Three funnel clouds right now near Great Bend, home of Barton County Community College.

New reports indicating there have been fatalities in Greensburg.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow, that's not good news. Been to Greensburg a couple times to cover track meets, never thought I would see a thread about the place that boasts the world's largest hand dug well on SportsJournalists.com.

Last time an F5 hit western Kansas was 2001 in Hoisington, if memory serves me right.

With any luck, first reports will prove to be worse than originally thought.

p.s. Fatalities in Greensburg? Shit. :(

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Weather Channel just said that 70 percent of Greensburg is destroyed...two-mile wide tornado.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And there are three more tornados right now, with more likely to develop. Makes the 100 mph winds in Arlington seem like a joke.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It doesn't look like any big Kansas cities are in the path, though Salina is an outside possibility.

Although for Kansas, Great Bend is pretty big.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Claflin, Holyrood, Susank all have major storms coming at them. It is about to cross I-70 just west of Salina, though it looks like Salina could get caught by an edge of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted