1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major crisis in Canada as CBC may drop Hockey Night in Canada Theme Song

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The WPVI switch lasted all of three days before they brought back the old theme.

The one thing I wish NBC and Vs. would do that HNIC does is just layout the announcers and let the crowd noise soak up the emotion pregame. If that doesn't get the blood flowing before a game, nothing will

2. Faithless

Faithless Member

How about a hockey version of this ...

"Are you ready for some hockey?"

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Only if it' s Bryan Adams :)

Actually, he did an original song for hockey on TSN. Not bad, but it ain't the HNIC theme song

4. Faithless

Faithless Member

Maybe a certain Canadian band can lend one of its best instrumentals to CBC for the intro to Hockey Night.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think this is more along the lines of a true Canadian tune..... (NSFW)

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm betting the CBC dropped this story to get some leverage in renegotiating the rights to the song. Plus they get great publicity. Much like when Ron McLean's contract was up for renewal.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For those who don't know...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And for all the Canuckistanis as well as those near the border, a trip down memory lane...
    "Fore check, fore check, fore check..."

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I want to say that was the 1994 World Championships when Canada won for the first time in an eon or something, with none other than Bill Ranford in net.

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Grew up an hour south of Windsor. Had CBET on our cable. Top TV show on Saturday nights in my hometown? Hockey Night in Canada. Only bad thing was, the times I wanted to see Detroit (the Jacques Demers era) or Montreal (back when they had some good teams in the late 1980s) play, we would be stuck with the Leafs.

Liked the HNIC theme song better when Molson still had the sponsorship. The speeded-up one they have used for the past 10 or so years just isn't as iconic. Still, it won't be the first thing the CBC had screwed up in recent years. Didn't they just lose the Olympic broadcast rights, even though they more or less broadcast the Olympics 24/7 with almost all event coverage?

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

They lost the rights to CTV just in time for Vancouver 2010.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I like this version:

The opening package plus the theme roll. Very well-done.

Draft saved Draft deleted