1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major change in our newsroom. But how did THIS happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Jul 14, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I like eating on the PR bitches' dime. It makes the food taste that much better.
    My objectivity can't be purchased because I got a muffin and bottle of water before a press conference. The food, in that case, wasn't there just for the press, it there for everyone, people attending and those behind the scenes.
    Same goes for pressbox food. It is really there to keep everyone happy and going. From the stat crew to the people working the clock.
    So it isn't like they are trying to buy you, just extending a courtesy. Much the same as going to someone's house to do an interview, and they offer you coffee or something to drink.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I was going to cite the same type of example.

But, if we're going to cut out free press box meals, what about all the other freebies, too? I don't pay to get in. I guess the university feels like it can bribe me. I don't pay for my program. Everybody else does. That's unethical! What about my media guide? The PR staff provides that free of charge. Probably because they expect me only to write puff pieces. Why else would they give me something for free that the rest of America must pay $20 for?

From now on, I'm paying for my own ticket, for my own program and for my own media guide. And if the game is sold out -- which all of them are -- I suppose I'll watch on TV and write without quotes. The stories will suck, but hey, at least I can't be bought.

3. I've twice covered a Division I team to write a sidebar and found time to buy food. Maybe that's different, I don't know. If anything, the newspaper should set it up ahead of time by paying a reasonable price for the meals ahead of time. That way you're not getting anything for free.

As for appearances, someone knows you're eating for free and you know. And who's to say a blogger won't blast you for eating for free immediately after you write a story praising one of their players? Then more people know.

4. Very good points. Newspaper should pay for those.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Like I said, there are no tickets to be had. So even if the newspaper wanted to pay for them, they couldn't.

Look, I'm all for journalistic integrity. And I know about the power of "appearances." You're talking to a guy who traded in his car when he got a new beat, because the color was too close to the primary color of Home Team U.

But paying for press food (and admission and other tools to do your job) is needlessly going over the line. All that stuff is complimentary. It's just the way it's done.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

So what do you figure W_B, a World Series press credential should cost?

Luxury box price, like $2,000 a game, since writers do get to sit in a private box that the general public can't enter?
    Oh, and should that price include the food or would the food be extra?
    Think your paper would shell out $14,000 for WS press credentials?

7. I'm sorry you guys think I'm looking down at all y'all. I'm not, at least in my own head. I know it's done everywhere but I don't agree with it and I don't see the harm in challenging you on it. I think newspapers should be paying for all this stuff.

When I've covered concerts and games for the paper my tickets were purchased by the paper. I guess I thought it was always that way.

8. Good question. So what is the price of admission? Fair and honest reporting?

9. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

What would be the price to talk to the players after a world series game?

10. Or an autograph?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I can't report a game fairly and honestly if I don't pay for my WORKING PRESS credential?
    Your opinion of everybody but yourself is rather low.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You've looked down on sports folks constantly on this thread. Course your attitude is pretty commonly found on newsside. It's one major reason I returned to sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted