1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major change in our newsroom. But how did THIS happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and they never, ever kiss you first.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Not trying to thread-jack, but I am curious if this type situation may be becoming a trend, as I have heard of at least one paper here in Texas doing the same thing a couple months back.
    If this ever happened here, I hope I am working the day the ME asks our religion editor to cover a high school volleyball game.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's the point, dog. nobodys asks news people to cover sports; it's the other way around.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Which again goes to show the versatility of many sports reporters vs. the rest of the field.

Where else can you get someone well-rounded enough to write hard news (trade), a second-day spin (in this day and age, that's a gamer for you), a takeout, a feature and use some interesting language to keep the readers in? Except at a smaller paper, news reporters do not have that breadth of work to tackle on a regular basis.

Even better would be sending the lifestyles editor out to cover a football game. Ninety-nine times out of 100, pure flippin' disaster, I bet.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Of course, this announcement would come down now, when it's summer and news-siders see the sports department "not doing anything."

So editors come out with this helping each other out crap, which will last until about the end of August.

And when the sports department tries to get the newsies to help out with a sports story, the news editor will say, "We can't. We're too busy with our own stories."

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Partners?

Whenever news side starts talking about their being part of a "team" with sports, I always look to run for the hills, so it's a little more difficult for my "partners" to fuck me over. Which they will. It's like being a member of the Bobby Heenan "family." Smile, shake hands and watch your ass.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Another newsie thing that pisses me off:

During election nights, they'll bitch up a storm about working at night and all the agate and shit like that. And of course, they cater subs or bring in pizza for them.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We finally have the Deputy Editor who oversees sports convinced that for sports, every Friday night in football season is like election night. He gets it ... but we don't get pizza.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Universal desk? Welcome to the future.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Even though the games end earlier, basketball season can be the same way.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Is this at all like the AJC's "Newsroom without walls"? Is that where this paper, and others are heading?

12. Taylee

Taylee Member

Not knowing about changes? How about this that happened on a Monday at a paper in the region. SE walks in to find out there is no more "sports department" and therefore he's no longer the SE. SE, ASE are reclassified as copy editors and the supervision of the universal desk and universal reporting staff now is under the ME and AME.

Draft saved Draft deleted