1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major change in our newsroom. But how did THIS happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Jul 14, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

At the risk of outing myself to the folks here or the dude running our newsroom, this might seem vague.

OK, there's a major, major change happening next week in our newsroom. Basically, it's fucking our sports department. As the ASE, you'd think I would have known that something was going to shake down. But QueenCreole knew about the changes before I did. QueenCreole does not work at the paper. She found out from someone else at the newsroom who told QueenCreole, "Nobody knows about it yet." Well, my wife knew before an editor did.

Geeee-zus. If I didn't have kids in school, like my SE and my beat, I'd be looking for a new job right now.

2. Can't give us more than that?

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Well, the major change involves intertwining some parts of the newsroom. Basically, the sports department is being asked to do more work, helping the news folks out and (allegedly) vice versa.

I was gone for most of the day when the change was announced last week. Yet, my wife is friends with someone else on staff who knew about this. After shooting the breeze, said employee asked my wife what I thought of the changes coming up. My wife had no idea, since I had no idea. I had no idea until I got back to the newsroom later on.

Thus, my wife knew of the changes before I did. A major change involving my job directly, and I was the second in my family to know about it.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

The key word there is allegedly. From my experience news siders don't get sports and their stories often require much more editing than a story by a sports writer.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I was gone for most of the day when the change was announced last week.

Uh, maybe that's why you didn't hear about first-hand?

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

He is the SE though. You'd think the higher ups would've given him a heads up.

7. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

A courtesy phone call from his boss to give him the head's up should have occurred.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I was gone about half the day, maybe not quite that long. I had no idea any change like this was coming. PERHAPS I would have heard had I been in town, yes, but it still bothers me that my wife knew something before I did regarding my job.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

SEs do a good job of insulating their departments, for the most part, from the rest of the newsroom.

It has its blessings, i.e. most of the bullshit is kept at the front door and never works its way down to the sports folks.

It has its curses, as in this case, where the sports folk are the last to know about major stuff going down.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I should clarify this was in no way the SE's fault.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It never, ever ever ever, works out that way.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You are correct sir.

It usually ends up being a blatant theft of resources from under your nose. And you will never view your news side partners in the same way again.

Draft saved Draft deleted