1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maher outs Mehlman; CNN censors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Oh...it's the Dems who are against gay adoption?

It's the Dems who say gays are living in sin?

Any gay who is part of such a party should be outed.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

marriage and health benefits for spouses = "special"

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No, it's religious leaders who are doing that, as they have the right to do in this interesting thing called the First Amendment.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

See it's this thing called "marriage," which is defined as including one man and one woman and only that. I, as a straight man, could marry a woman. A gay man also by law could marry a woman. Same rights, but I'm guessing that the gay man may not want to marry the woman. So now we're talking about special rights, whether you want to admit it or not. Marriage is what it always has been. Words mean things. And how has the left tried to dodge the fact that words mean things? They want to claim that marriage is between a "husband and a wife" and that a man can be a wife or a woman can be a husband. When you have to change the definition of words, you're admitting you've lost the debate.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

God, you're pathetic. Here's the law, dipshit. Study up.

(a) Prohibited activities--A person is guilty of an offense if he intentionally--(1) engages in electronic surveillance under color of law except as authorized by statute; or (2) discloses or uses information obtained under color of law by electronic surveillance, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through electronic surveillance not authorized by statute. 91.

In relevant part 50 U.S.C. §1801 provides that:
    (f) "Electronic surveillance" means--(1) the acquisition by an electronic, mechanical, or other surveillance device of the contents of any wire or radio communication sent by or intended to be received by a particular, known United States person who is in the United States, if the contents are acquired by intentionally targeting that United States person, under circumstances in which a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy and a warrant would be required for law enforcement purposes; (2) the acquisition by an electronic, mechanical, or other surveillance device of the contents of any wire communication to or from a person in the United States, without the consent of any party thereto, if such acquisition occurs in the United States, but does not include the acquisition of those communications of computer trespassers that would be permissible under section 2511(2)(i) of Title 18; (3) the intentional acquisition by an electronic, mechanical, or other surveillance device of the contents of any radio communication, under circumstances in which a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy and a warrant would be required for law enforcement purposes, and if both the sender and all intended recipients are located within the United States; or (4) the installation or use of an electronic, mechanical, or other surveillance device in the United States for monitoring to acquire information, other than from a wire or radio communication, under circumstances in which a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy and a warrant would be required for law enforcement purposes.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You want one name, Tony?

Here's one: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Padilla_%28alleged_terrorist%29">Jose Padilla</a>.

Here's another: <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10454316/">Evy Grachow</a>. (<a href="http://www.wexler.house.gov/news.php?ID=179">Another article</a> on same.)

Here's more: the <a href="http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/03/15/documents_fbi_spied_on_pa_pacifists/">Thomas Merton Center</a> in Pittsburgh, Akron-based Quakers in the<a href="http://www.infowars.com/articles/ps/dod_spied_on_locals_akron_oh.htm"> Northeast Ohio American Friends Service Committee</a>, anyone using <a href="http://www.nwprogressive.org/weblog/2006/05/nsa-now-spying-on-americans.html">AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth</a>.

Ordinary American citizens. People like us. White people, black people, brown people, yellow people.

Are being spied on, are being investigated, are being interrogated and, in Padilla's case, are being held (for three years! Three years!) without charge.

By our government, our American government.

(Caveat: In Padilla's case, if he's guilty, fine. He may be. But charge him with a crime and prosecute him. Instead, we held him in Gitmo and did nothing. He's an American citizen and we took away his habeas corpus. That's not right. Charge his ass, try his ass, and fry his ass. But don't take away an American citizen's civil liberties just because you think you can get away with it. That's wrong.)

These actions by our government violate our privacy. They violate our freedom.

It is ILLEGAL. It is ALWAYS illegal.

Fuck the Patriot Act.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Methinks tony won't respond to your post, buckdub.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed. On both counts; I didn't realize how late it was. Of course, he never responded to my last post on the Al Gore thread, so who knows.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I mentioned the Quakers earlier and he had nothing to say on the matter.

And yea, Maher's an asshole. Outing somebody is just among the lowest things you can do.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Outing somebody shows you have no respect for another human being. Being gay is not a lifestyle. It's not a choice. I didn't choose to be attracted to women any more than Barney Frank, for instance, chose to be attracted to men.

As I've said before to other people who don't get it, do you think anyone would *choose* to go through that if they had a choice? Hell no.

I feel bad for Mehlman, if he hasn't come out already (has he? I assume not, based on the reaction to Maher. But I don't know for sure.)

At any rate, it's none of Maher's business. And he had no right to bring it up on the show.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Then the terrorists have won without having to commandeer another plane. The technology is there to selectively sniff out threats without impinging on what makes us us.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Buck? Boy, do I have an identity crisis. :-\ And my dull phone convos are still mine and the other person's, not the government's.

Draft saved Draft deleted