1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magary on Manziel: Talk about throwing stones in glass houses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

See, I don't agree.

I'm sure that May would criticize the 19-year-old version of himself, as well.

2. Dick Whitman

It is so clever when you call me "Dickie."

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Thanks, Dickie! I'm glad you like it.

Also, I see you left the other part out. That was clever, too.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

In such a flippant way, yeah. If he said something about making mistakes, something drawing from experience or contrasting the different kind of cultures between the two eras or something nuanced like that, that seems like it could be pretty legit. But if you got arrested for jumping on cars, threatening police officers and encouraging a crowd to fight to police, and later picked up two DUIs in less than five years after age 30, you have no real ground to talk about bringing shame to the game (a sentiment stupid in it's own right, but that's another matter).

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Johnny Manziel is just a dumb redneck kid from East Nowhere, Texas, who figures this is the greatest party on earth and by God, he's going to get in on every second of it. He'll either grow up or end up in jail during the next few years. It'll be interesting to see which.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

@TheBoz Shot machine gun in the dorms with the fellas. A blast. Barry told us to use silencers next time. What a douche.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's where you say something like, "I was in a similar situation when I was in college and I was able to get past it, Manziel needs to do the same thing..."

If he personalizes it, it comes across as very sincere. If he doesn't, he looks like a hypocrite.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

@TheBoz44 Typical day in Norman. #machineguns #drugtest #Switzeristhecrazyone

9. Dick Whitman

Yeah, that's how Gottlieb usually does it, I think.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Sarcasm?

Anyway, false. Manziel's family is Texas oil money. Check out the suits he wears sometimes.

Anyway, he should enjoy it. He isn't exactly a top NFL prospect. And, since he's rich, he can enjoy it.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You can be rich and still be a dumb redneck.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Especially when he isn't the one who made the money.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He also got two DUIs while in the NFL.

If anything, he brought more shame to the game than Manziel.

Draft saved Draft deleted