1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madison Square Garden's 50 greatest moments -- I'm stumped

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I realize that this is very NYSJ, but the MSG Network has been running a series on the 50 greatest moments in Madison Square Garden's history. I stopped watching the show a while ago -- the direction is like NYPD Blue with epilepsy, but I've been following it on their website and they are getting down to the last five with a show this Saturday.

I figure that the top 3 have to be: 1) Willis coming out of the tunnel and the Knicks winning game 7 in 1970; 2) Ali-Frazier I; and 3) The 1994 Rangers Stanley Cup (IMO, hockey is way over done on this list -- there really is minimal interest in the sport). So what are the other two events in the top 5?

Here is a link to the moments listed so far -- http://msg50.com/moments.jsp?1169129519054

Any thoughts?

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

seems way too hockey-centric at the very top... and the blurb on Elvis doesn't give me the context that would explain his No. 1 position.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

MSG ranks Wrestlemania I only 29th? Hell, that should be top 15 -- look what it spawned...

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Anything that's not Ali-Frazier #1 and Knicks 1970 Championship #2, is stupid and not worth reading the rest of the list.

BTW, game 7 in 1970 was played on May 8. Game 6 of the 2006 Finals was played on June 20

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Matteau...Matteau...Matteau has to be up there.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That was no. 6 -- I thought that it might be a top 5 moment.

I'm really stumped -- they have done all of the big concerts (MUSE, Bangladesh, post-9/11, Billy Joel's "record" run). I'm a big Springsteen fan, but there is no one show that stands out as that noteworthy.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Lame!

No Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka leap from the top of the cage onto Don "Magnificent" Muraco?

One of the seminal moments in pro wrestling history.

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

Sun Myung Moon's "blessing ceremony" in the early '80s?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I though Snuka Superfly Death Leaped (Lept?) on to Bob Backlund?

Didn't Hogan beat the Iron Sheik for the title at MSG?

Duran over Davey Moore in June 1983 was a seminal later-year MSG boxing moment. Moore, a hometown kid from the Bronx, had no chance against Duran and his legion of followers who packed the place that night.

And Ali's entrance, accompanied by an enormous chant of "Ali, Ali", was electrifying.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Any Springsteen concert at the Garden is better than any Rangers' game

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Huggy -- you're right. He actually did it a few times, and Backlund was the first. His dive onto Muraco the next year was more publicized because of the intensity of their feud.

And Hogan did beat The Iron Sheik for the then-WWF title. That was a noteworthy moment, too.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My first thought top five moments outside the first three was Hogan over Sheik. The kickstart of the current wrestling era.

Draft saved Draft deleted