1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Made a telemarketer curse and hang up on me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 24, 2013.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I gave him your number, too, because he was offering three free spyware programs for every referral.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Win, win! I'll send along some do-si-dos and thin mints from the girl scouts who came to my door and commandeered my time in the middle of a football Sunday.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

FYI: The government shutdown means the do-not-call list is no longer in effect. So I guess you're left to fend for yourself for a few days/weeks.

A guy in my car pool has been dealing with telemarketers calling his cell the past few days, and he's dealing with them in the car. To show off, I believe. A captive audience. For 100 other reasons he's already annoyed the other members of the pool to the point where we're concocting ways to tell him he's not allowed in the car anymore. Now the past two days, he answers the calls and carries on with them.

"Oh really. No, he's not here. HE'S DEAD! HE DIED A YEAR AGO! NO, HE'S DEAD!"

Hangs up and laughs. No one else laughs.

Another call and he carries on for 5 minutes as we're stuck on the GWB, stringing the guy along with one of those wacky retributions that are apparently very popular.

"Ha. That guy didn't know what I was doing. I really fucked him up."

Well, you didn't but you did ruin our ride.

So if you're going to yell at or con the conmen on the phone, be considerate to those around you and do it in the privacy of your own home.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Scamming telemarketer calls a Washington Post columnist:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/if-the-us-government-grants-department-calls-you-hang-up-quickly-its-a-scam/2013/10/06/e1a65e3e-2c60-11e3-b139-029811dbb57f_story.html

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

On a side note, Girl Scout cookies are to be sold only by Girl Scouts.

The educational process is lost when it gets hijacked by Girl Scout parents.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I feel less creepy when negotiating bulk buys with someone over age 30.

Draft saved Draft deleted