1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas elected to Baseball Hall of Fame; Biggio just misses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 26, 2013.

?

Who will be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame this year?

Poll closed May 25, 2014.
  1. Jeff Bagwell

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Craig Biggio

33 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. Barry Bonds

29 vote(s)
    40.3%
  4. Roger Clemens

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Tom Glavine

51 vote(s)
    70.8%
  6. Jeff Kent

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Greg Maddux

68 vote(s)
    94.4%
  8. Edgar Martinez

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Don Mattingly

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  10. Fred McGriff

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  11. Mark McGwire

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  12. Jack Morris

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  13. Mike Mussina

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  14. Rafael Palmeiro

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  15. Mike Piazza

20 vote(s)
    27.8%
  16. Tim Raines

26 vote(s)
    36.1%
  17. Curt Schilling

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  18. Lee Smith

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  19. Sammy Sosa

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  20. Frank Thomas

48 vote(s)
    66.7%
  21. Alan Trammell

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  22. Larry Walker

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: 2014 BBWAA Baseball Hall of Fame ballot released

Palmeiro, McGwire, and Sosa, right? Bonds for the most part. He as much as admitted using in his GJ testimony - just said he didn't know what it was. Not sure if intent is required for conviction here or not, though.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And Clemens

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see those as reasonable, but to be honest, I'd want either a confession or a failed drug test to keep a guy out. Otherwise, it becomes more and more subjective how much guesswork you are doing.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That would be my policy as well if I had a vote. Granted, we're assuming we know when they started using.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I think your stance is reasonable. I also think it's reasonable for voters to keep a guy out based on circumstantial evidence. A vote is always going to be subjective, otherwise there'd be hard guidelines to follow.

6. Mizzougrad96

Didn't Bonds claim to have used some by accident, that he used something given to him by a trainer? I know that's bullshit, but it is admitting he used.

But, Palmeiro and McGwire would be the only ones who either failed tests or admitted using.

7. Mizzougrad96

It's pretty well-known Piazza admitted to beat writers that he used. Bagwell got so big at one point in his career that it's an obvious assumption that he used. I think both get in, maybe this year, maybe ahead of Clemens and Bonds...

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I was hopeful that when they announced the ballot, they would also announce the end of the 10-vote limit.

And even if you take out those who you view as cheaters/potential cheaters, you could still have more than 10 to vote for. There are 21 players on the ballot you could make a reasonable case for.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is anybody troubled by Deadspin buying* a HoF vote?

* - I'm not sure if money will change hands, but that's what Deadspin is calling it.

10. outofplace

And that is exactly why I think it should only be those who have failed a PED test or admitted PED use.

I'm sure everybody who cares has heard that story about Piazza. Nobody can prove it and it is absolute bullshit to use it to punish the guy.

The argument you just made about Bagwell is even worse. You can't tell who used and who did not based on how big or small guys are. Anybody who thinks otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. No way in hell should that be the basis of an argument to keep a guy out.

11. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I look at it this way: You use the Bill James criteria of "is there any evidence to suggest he was a better or worse player than suggested by his statistics?"

In other words, did PED usage make the player better than he truly was throughout the bulk of his career?

In the case of Bonds, the PED usage that was documented came late in his career. That's not enough for me to hold it against him. That's why I'd vote for him. Ditto for Clemens.

I don't think you can make that same argument with Palmeiro (who was mostly Hall of Good throughout his career) or Sosa (I've never been convinced he belongs).

I'm torn on McGwire. I'd have to look more closely at Bagwell's career. I would vote for Piazza.

As far as who I voted for in the poll, I went with Maddux and Glavine because they seem to be the only two a large number of voters aren't going to question. I can see plenty of voters grumble about Frank Thomas: "But he's just a DH!" Even though I think that's a stupid argument to make.

FWIW, my 10 picks if I had a vote: Maddux, Glavine, Clemens, Bonds, Thomas, Piazza, Biggio and Trammel for sure. Then I'd be debating Bagwell, McGwire, Martinez, Mussina and Schilling.

12. outofplace

Objective doesn't mean you just make up your own evidence, and some of this "circumstantial" evidence I've heard is a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted