1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madden takes a week off from football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He ain't gettin' on that plane.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. You're right. He's not asking for sympathy. He's just ASKING FOR A DAY OFF FROM AN 18-DAY-A-YEAR JOB!!!!!

3. KP

KP Active Member

I looked at it like a manager giving a player the day off before an off day. Now he gets almost three weeks off.

4. Magnum

Magnum Member

Or a tranquilizer dart when he's looking the other way.

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I like Madden, maybe it's because I remember him and Summerall calling games when I was a kid. But, I'll miss him when he retires, I actually ate at a little Mexican place in Van Horn, Texas a few years ago that had the "John Madden Haul of Fame." I think it was called Chuy's

They told me Madden was going to the West Coast after a game and he stopped in on a Monday night and wanted to watch the game (I think it was the Rams when they were still in LA) because he was doing their game that following week and wanted to watch it for research. The owner said he was one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, he sat there and watched the game with Madden. He said ever since whenever Madden is heading down I-10 he stops through to eat (the food was pretty good) and Madden has hooked him up with all kinds of memorabilia, they even have a table reserved for him all the time. After going there, I even heard Madden plug the place a couple times (this was while he was still working for Fox)

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I heard that John did not want upstage his kid brother Joe so he stayed home from Tampa.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Good effort, but Joe spells his differently.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

You're onto something here... perhaps Al Michaels can drug him each week and get him on the plane...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted