1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madden takes a week off from football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 13, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

problem is that half, at least, of that analysis is blather. sweat stains show how hard that line's working type crap. it's awful. and have talked with a well-respected on-air man that has, well, let's say worked often with the big man, and there isn't much love there it seems.

jaworski's no good ... but simms is solid. he actually spends a long, long time prepping for the week and seems to genuinely care and put a lot of effort into the product. he's not as polished as some, but he's getting there.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Brett Favre was unavailable for comment.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Five times? Try 10 or 15.

At some point, a man just has to face down his demons. Yes, I know the story of his phobia and how he got it. But the odds of something happening per billion miles flown are so minuscule it's almost zero.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Agreed. I guess he's chosen this, and if this is one of the results he has to deal. But if I refused to fly and then bitched about my arduous travel, I wouldn't expect my boss to feel too sorry for me.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Where did he ask for anyone's sympathy?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Think this means a little more than just a day off now and then, like Ebersole realizes Madden has lost a lot and maybe it's time to start phasing him out?

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Madden is 72 and about 60 pounds overweight. I think it would probably be a good idea for NBC to have a fallback option in mind.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd like to say I have no sympathy for a guy who wants a day off from one of his 18 assignments per year, but the timing of this makes me think there might be something else going on. There's no Sunday night game on the 26th, so he could be home from Tampa by next Tuesday and home for more than a week before he leaves for Indianapolis and the Nov. 2 game.

Something doesn't seem quite right.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Madden is a cool dude. Saw him during Super Bowl week a few years ago and he let one of my friends snap a photo inside his bus.

Real cool dude. A lot cooler than say, Chris Berman, who we also met that day.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Give it a fucking rest.

What a goddamned cliche you can be.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Collinsworth is the best in the biz, so SNF is lucky.

And, Madden's first Super Bowl was the one Collinsworth played in.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dealt with him quite a bit. Great guy.

I find it difficult to comprehend that Madden's fear of flying can't be taken care of with a couple Xanax and a private jet, but what do I know?

Draft saved Draft deleted