1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MADD at one of their own

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 28, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Won't argue with that. Smallish fines and brief suspensions certainly don't deter DUI-inclined pro athletes, as we've found out.

Won't argue with that either.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, SHE'S HORRIBLE LOOKIN'!!!!!!!

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The problem is that there is just sooooooo much gray area for people to try to follow. There is a .08 limit, of course, but it's real easy to convince yourself you aren't over the limit - especially when you are over it. Remember, drunk people talk themselves into bad ideas all the time. It's one of the major effects of being drunk. I think if the law was that you would be arrested with even a .01 - or even just slapped with a big speeding-like fine - then people wouldn't do it as much.

There's just too much left to judgment as it is for the worst-positioned people in the world to make a judgment. I have an iron-clad two-beer limit when I'm out. (Usually to dinner or a summer BBQ or something. Don't frequent the bars anymore). I don't know what .08 feels like exactly, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't get me there.

I envision a day in the future when people are shocked that it used to be OK to drive after a drink or two.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

This story reminds of when I went back home for my sister's wedding. The reception was at the local Elks Lodge and helping out at the banquet room bar was a woman in her early 20s who my Dad said worked at the lodge's regular bar.

Anyway, we had the wedding, reception and everything and the next morning, my Dad gets a call and finds out the woman was killed in early, early morning car accident. She and the driver were both killed after coming back from a concert about 50 miles away.

The original story said the driver was the chapter president for S(tudents)ADD, and later the toxicology reports came out and, sure enough, she was driving under the influence.

You'd think someone involved in a group like that would know better, but I guess you just never know when a lapse of judgment can come back to bite you.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now this is really one of the moments that I wish you weren't so ashamed of your previous posts that you decided to reregister under a new name.

You flail against any suggestion that smoking marijuana isn't the most benign of activities but suggest that one DUI should render you an unemployable pariah.

6. YankeeFan

Anyone who complains to a moderator should become an unemployable pariah. You've now proven for all time how selfish, untrustworthy and bad at making decisions you are.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Perhaps the law shouldn't be .08. It was fine at 1.0. It's not the popular thing to say, but that's how I feel.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you have trouble knowing where 0.08 is, the proper solution is to not drive after any amount of drinking. It's really not that difficult.

9. YankeeFan

I hate to say it, but I totally agree.

Most of the accidents cause by drunk drivers are caused by people well over the limit -- and well over .10.

I've never had a DUI, and I've had to take the keys away from friends.

But MADD is a group of zealots. Instead of focussing on the problem, they've been working towards zero tolerance.

10. YankeeFan

The woman in the article was over .20.

One drink at dinner can put you close to .08. It's silly to compare .08 to .234.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Who was comparing them?

.234 is a shit-ton worse than 0.08, but .08 is also bad. If you intend on having one drink at dinner, don't drive afterward.

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Of course. But the problem is that people think they do know where .08 is. At least they convince themselves that they do. And that they are not over it.

Draft saved Draft deleted