1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well, it looks like Betty continues her dive into craziness. I'm trying to figure what she had going with fixing up that friend with the horse riding buddy. Also, it was interesting how all the women were reacting to the Marilyn Monroe thing as compared with the men. In today's culture, it might be the opposite.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Don is pissed at Sterling for banging his secretary because he was just starting to think about doing the same.

And Joan kills herself before the end of the season.

3. I say that about almost every character on this frigging show. Freddy. Betty. Joan. Sal. Hell, even Pete gives me that feeling.

Peggy used to, but I think last night sealed her total belief in Don's life philosophy of "Only look forward and it'll surprise you how much this never happened." I love that we'll eventually see the ultimate clash between the Don/Peggy Alliance and the Duck/Pete Alliance. BTW, I thought the show put Roger and Jane together too quickly. Isn't he still in love with Joan? It was only at the end of the last episode that Jane even told him where she lived. He was pining for Joan when he walked into his office---and, suddenly, he's leaving Mona for Jane?

That Don said he was relieved to be out of the house was enlightening. And the "Archie Whitman maneuver" comment was rare for him. I wonder if those slip-ups will become more frequent. It all goes back to what Cooper said two weeks ago---"people buy things in order to realize their aspirations." That's what this show, I think, is all about. Don has no aspirations besides whatever is the next, best thing to make him happy.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think Don was ticked that his secretary was hooking up with Sterling, but that she was "serving two masters." Don likes to play things close to the vest, and when his secretary figured out that things were not right at home for Don and apparently told Sterling it was a breech of trust.
    Man this season is getting very depressing. Freddie pissing himself, Pete blindsiding Don. The party is apparently over at Sterling/Cooper.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Damn, I missed that somehow. A little help?

6. I'm almost positive when Roger's wife said he was in love with a secretary, she meant Joan and not Don's secretary. We'll see.

And I was shocked at Peggy's defense of Freddy. I thought she told Freddy's secretary what time it was so the secretary would spread it around and embarass him, potentially leading to him getting fired. Maybe she just wanted to shame him into behaving better.

And does this mean Don and Betty are done? He said he was "relieved" at his new situation. Hmm...

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Seeing as how Joan is engaged (so I doubt Roger would leave his wife for her) and Don's secretary knew that Roger (and every guy) was interested in her and she went into his office to save her job ... and she's a social climber ... and she was crying when Roger's wife was there ... I'm going with her as Roger's paramour. :)

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, Fred was one of her biggest boosters and she appreciates that. She's totally on his side. She didn't even tell Don, to whom she's very loyal. I don't think we've seen the last of Fred Rumson.

9. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

lantaur is right -- Roger was having an affair with Don's secretary, not Joan.

I also agree with Frank that Peggy wasn't intentionally trying to hurt Freddy. She didn't even tell Don, and did not anticipate Peter's maneuver. When Don dropped her a hint that he wished he knew earlier, to avoid this, she didn't even pick up on it. She has a lot to learn about office politics.

10. Don and Roger were sitting in a bar after saying goodbye to Freddy. They were talking about Don punching Jimmy out. Roger makes some smart-ass comment and Don says, "Yeah, that was a real Archibald Whitman move."

Roger asks "Who's that?" and Don replies with, "Just some town drunk I used to know" while taking a sip of his rye.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Thanks, Genco. Didn't pick up on it.

Found this after you put me on the scent...

http://www.time-blog.com/tuned_in/2008/09/mad_men_watch_punch_drunk_love.html

12. I found this great website that serves as the unofficial Mad Men blog. If you're a fan of the show at all, you have to check it out. http://www.lippsisters.com/.

But they raise an interesting point. Again it involves the bar scene with Roger and Don. Roger asks Don if his separation from Betty involves his falling in love with another woman. Don denies it and says that he'd prefer that scenario, because "then I'd know what to do."

Roger, OTOH, is in love with another woman, even though Don doesn't know that at the time. Roger leaves his wife because he loves another woman---he can decide what to do because he knows what he wants. Think about, though, how much that little comment says about Don. If he loved someone---anyone, even if it wasn't Betty and even if it brought about great pain for his children---he'd know what to do. But he doesn't love anyone. He's just going through life, trying to find what he loves, so he knows what to do. It's why he didn't take a contract with Sterling Cooper---instead he wanted no commitment. He promised not to leave SC for another advertising firm, though. As he told Roger, there's got to be more out there for him besides advertising.

There's got to be something better for Don---or so he thinks---and that causes all of his problems. If only he loved something, he'd know what to do.

God, I love this show.

Draft saved Draft deleted