1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 3, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been posted, but I haven't seen it. Anyway, watched the third show last night. What do some of you think? The wardrobe and decor of offices, homes, etc., is right on with the early 1960s, as is the smoking and boozing and political incorrect banter in the office. The dialogue is pretty good, but I was a bit confused at the last part of the show, especially when the father goes to get his daughter's birthday cake and passes by the house and loses himself for four hours, while his daughter has to blow out the candles on a frozen Sara Lee. I guess it was some attempt to portray boring, suburban, man in the Gray Flannel Suit life, but from everything I had seen in the first few shows, it wasn't like the character. He sleeps around on his wife but loved his kids and didn't strike me as the type to blow off taking his daughter's birthday cake to the house.

Anyway, do you people have thoughts on the show ...

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

eff. i whiffed on it last night. i'll have to catch it on one of the thousand replays in the next week.

i like the show.

just checked. i can see it as soon as 7 tonight. ;D

3. I'm a fan. Caught the first one on a re-run and half the second one before last night. I think Draper was ticked because he was kind of used to having these dalliances with whomever he chooses and the woman from the department store shot him down and he was forced to "live" with the boredom of his not so perfect wife.
    Then again, 3 shows in it's kind of hard to decipher the whos, much less the whys, but it is stylishly directed though I wonder if the actors have asked the producers to cover their medical costs. If you go by the show, EVERYONE who lived in NYC in the 60s was a chain smoker.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They have a "Making of Mad Men" on Comcast on demand, and they addressed the smoking issue. A. Everyone in the early 60s did some that much and B. Most of the cast is smoking herbal cigarettes that are just for show.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I thought they needed a few Muslims in the ad agency.

That's joke, Hondo. :)

Keep missing it, but definitely want to see it.

It reminds me of "Good Night and Good Luck". EVERYBODY smokes.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Can't find a thread on this anywhere. Perfectly willing to say I missed it somewhere, but...Anyone else still watching?

7. Love the show. Missed it tonight, but it's on DVR.

Best new show for me.

8. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

(gasp) The ad at the bottom of the page is a Mad Men ad.

Anyway, I've got to think Elisabeth Moss is wearing a fat suit.

Also, Joan. Wow. Just stunning.

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

It's a great show.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Less than subtle in a few areas, but overall, a superior period piece. Long may it reign.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

January Jones, YUMMY

[​IMG]

12. I'm thinking Campbell knocked her up, and that's part of the deal or maybe she put on the weight so she wouldn't become one of "those" girls.

Funny thing about this show, it's kinda hard to root for any of the "men." It's obvious the women are the stars of the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted