1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men Season 4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In today's NYT feature (front page of A&L), reviewer notes that
    they're only vaulting a single year, to 1964. Had presupposed
    they'd be moving at least another year or two down the road . . .
    but at least we'll be in the era of Beatle-consciousness.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The NYT feature calls Mad Men "a cultural phenomenon much in the way The Sopranos once was."

Really? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the show has quite reached that level of popularity. And most people I know, either family or friends, don't make a point to watch.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think in some ways one could argue that "Mad Men" is even more culturally influential than "The Sopranos." You now have 20-somethings ordering Scotch and longing to wear suits to work. Quite a change from the frat boy culture of the previous couple decades.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thank God it's on basic cable, and you don't have to pay to play, as
    you did with Tony, Ed Swearingen, and Jimmy McNulty.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen/madmenyourself/

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I assume that we won't be hearing from Sal again. What a great job by the actor in a very interesting role.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's been stated that the Ken Cosgrove character WILL be back . . . and I strongly suspect that Betty's new mother-in-law will be Betty White.

Hard to say about Kinsey, as he was left off the lifeboat on departure . . .
    Sal/Bryan Batt? Nobody's said never, and Batt ain't talking. I'm betting
    he shows up, at least one more time, before The End.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've tried to stay spoiler free, but i'm wondering if Weiner is still sticking to a five season plan and if the show is going to span the whole decade.

I like the idea of characters coming and going -- Ken and Kinsey are not super essential, but even if Joan ended up unhappily ever after with Dr. Rapist, that would have been OK. I know that it is hard to do with a star, but it makes it more like real life.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Actually, I love this show so much I'd like to see it careen into the '70s. It'd be fun to see them in that era.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hamm has been quoted to the effect that he wants to stay with it as long as Weiner wants to keep cranking it out.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

bravo to hamm, then, for recognizing he's got the best role of his career.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And making more money than he ever dreamed of. HC& I can't wait for Sunday night.

Draft saved Draft deleted