1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men 8-16-07

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 17, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We're finally getting a little texture to the Don Draper character.

I would really like to bitch-slap Peter. What a whiny little shit.

Anyone else watching this?

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

my wife and i dig the show a bunch. we have advance copies of episodes so we're going to watch next week's tonight. i won't give away spoilers. apparently, 13 episodes have been taped. but i don't know if the show will last beyond that.

but peter, yeah, he's been a whiny little shit since the first episode.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'd say it will be renewed:

""Mad Men" has been the critical hit of the summer, but it's also given a boost to AMC's ratings, drawing an average of 1 million viewers per episode -- better than average for AMC programs -- with 20 percent more viewers in the network's age 25-54 target demographic than the network's prime-time lineup had in the second quarter of 2007."

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Great show. There was the incident on the train when somebody called Draper by another name, some guy claiming to know him from the army. My theory is that the real Draper was killed in the war and "Dick" assumed his identity.

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I watched the first couple of episodes and tried the third, but fell out of interest. For one thing, the smoking thing got to me. My gosh is that entire cast and crew going to die of lung cancer by the end of the second seaosn?

I did like the little Ad facts during commericals to keep you from zipping through the real ads.

As an aside, does anyone else think they talk too softly a lot of the time?

6. lantaur

The show definitely has a "mood." I wouldn't advise watching it if you are a little sleepy. :)

The show goes out of its way to demonstrate how things were different back then, and that includes smoking. I imagine the parents of most people my age smoked. How they didn't know putting that crap in their lungs wasn't bad for them ...

Anyway, I like the show. However, I wish it would get back to dealing more with the office life rather than the home life.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pete gets his story published in Boys Life. Classic. I want to see a lot more of the redheaded secretary.

8. lantaur

Christina Hendricks for your Google purposes.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Man, are the wives in the Drapers' neighborhood obsessed with the divorcee or what? Loved the way, at the kid's birthday party, she shot down the big galloot who was trying to set up a li'l something-something.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Love the show.

Transports me back to the time that my parents lived in and just before I was born.

To me, trying to look at it from today's perspective will only lead to dissatisfaction.

That train incident did get me thinking about who/what Draper is all about.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Used to seeing stuff from that era in black-and-white. Seeing such period details in color is neat.
    Although it does make me think how half the male characters in the show would be dead right now and the hot females would be, er, Grandma.

Draft saved Draft deleted