1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Max: Fury Road

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, May 27, 2015.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I loved this film but really, I never thought it would be even watchable. It sat on a shelf for three years, had lots of reshoots and Tom Hardy pretty much publically wrote it off.

From now on, you can never predict that a movie is doomed based on the bad press it gets pre-release.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Or it's the exception to the rule. I know there have been low budget movies that were shelved for whatever reason that were actually quite good, but I can't think of a blockbuster, popcorn film where that was the case and it was actually really good and was successful at the box office.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can easily ruin a movie in the editing process, but it's pretty rare for a movie that looks doomed to be saved by editing/reshoots.

4. RecoveringJournalist

I remember there were a couple films that were shelved because of 9/11 that were actually quite good. I think they were slated for wide release and then basically went straight to DVD.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The movie was very chrome. Shiny. Chrome.

A sign of a quality flick is you don't note the passage of time as you are just sucked into it.

That was the case for this movie.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Saw it this morning. Pretty damn good. Not to join in the HOLY SHITness of it all, but that thing has to win something at the Oscars next year, right? It was a pretty visually stunning movie.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The tagline for this movie should have been "Girls who Kick Ass".

This is generally not my type of movie, but everyone raved about it. I thought it was great.

Double Down likes this.
  8. RecoveringJournalist

It's hanging in there at the box office. Word of mouth is keeping this from being a mild disappointment financially, since it cost $150 mil to make, into a decent hit, especially since it's also doing well overseas.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would be it ends up making sooooooo much money overseas.

10. RecoveringJournalist

You would hope so. It's $115 million here and $165 million in foreign markets. I'd like to see it get to $200M here and $300M in foreign markets.

Draft saved Draft deleted