1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mackenzie Phillips & Her Papa: A Love Story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Sep 23, 2009.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

She looks like a vampire in the photo from the People link. Her eyes look red (and I don't mean bloodshot).

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He wrote "I Saw Her Again" to punish Michelle and Denny Doherty for their affair, which John thought was improper.

How quaint.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Containing perhaps the most famous error allowed into a rock record

4. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

And that error is ...?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Ewwwwwwwwwww

2. My suspicion is Chynna is probably in a little better position to know (I'd be amazed if Papa John didn't make a run at her too at some point).

3. Given the previous history, as soon as they started making the teaser announcements, "Mackenzie Phillips will reveal a family secret," I figured exactly what it was.

4. AP, for Christ's sake, do we really need 5 leads on this story? The only thing Mackenzie Phillips could do which would be worth 5 takes would be if she were simultaneously bearing fraternal triplets fathered by Pope Benedict XVI, Michael Jackson and Barack Obama.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Something about Denny Doherty starting to sing too early on the chorus ...

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's gold right there.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

One of the members doing so, anyway. Another famous one is the lead singer getting carried away at the end of She's a Rebel.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

And then there was the Kingsmen's butchering of "Louie Louie." Not only did the recording almost fall apart coming out of the guitar solo, drummer Lynn Easton shouted "fuck!" during the breakdown.

It was one of the few intelligible words on the entire record, yet it was completely overlooked by the pious who tried to have the record banned because the song was supposedly "obscene."

Just to clarify, I say "butchering" in the sense that the record was technically and proficiently so far beneath the standard set by a rival band, Paul Revere and the Raiders, who cut the song either the day before the Kingsmen or the day after, in the same studio in Portland, Oregon. While the Kingsmen ended up with the national hit and obviously the best-known version, the Raiders actually outsold the Kingsmen something like 10 to 1 in their mutual hometown and hit No. 1 all up and down the West Coast.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't see the interview but I've been stunned by hearing some of the talking heads discuss it - they don't say how horrifying it is, where were people who should have been looking out for her - no - they want to know why she is sharing this with the public. Shouldn't she be keeping this to herself? Journos/Hollywood tab TV folks that want to know everything about everyone are saying TMI. It blows me away.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

They might be right. The shocking twist is appalling beyond words. There aren't fiction writers sick enough to conceptualize of what she says was her reality.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I would say she looks 80 years old because she's been doing heroin since she was 16. Thanks daddy.

The best line from the Oprah interview was when she read from her book and finished talking about the first rape incident.

"fathers are supposed to protect their daughters. Fathers are supposed to protect their daughters. Not fuck them."

Draft saved Draft deleted