1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MacBook vs. MacBook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Firstime Caller, Aug 25, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

The Macbooks, made of plastic, are notorious for cracking around the edges around the keyboard. This drives me crazy.

http://www.appledefects.com/?p=267

I also wish I had opted for something with just a wee bit more power under the hood. I do a TON of memory-intensive work, and wish I had something a little beefier to work with.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just replaced my keyboard because of the cracking. Left it overnight at a repair shop and fixed without any problem. Be sure to get AppleCare.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

That last part cannot be emphasized enough. Always get Applecare.

4. Oh, I'd definitely get Applecare - no matter which computer I choose.

The keyboard cracking thing has me concerned though because, as I've mentioned, the impetus for this purchase is that the hinges on my old PowerBook G4 finally decided to give out. The PowerBook is old so it's beyond the AppleCare time period. But it's just frustrating, because much like it sounds the keyboard cracking thing is with the Macbook, this was/is a known problem with these PowerBooks -- that the hinges will go bad because of shoddy construction but it will be over time and after the Applecare time period has past.

I mean, I've definitely gotten my use out of this computer, but I don't know if I'm eager to get another computer that has a known construction problem that can bite me in the ass down the line.

Also, Applecare is hardly perfect. I've heard many tales of them trying to reject claims or not pay claims in full (much like health insurance), but that's for another thread.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I've only ever had good luck with them, but I haven't had to replace/repair anything major, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted