1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac vs. PC, the commercial wars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I know some people think the Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld commercials are weird, but I think they are hilarious.

Here is the long version of their new ad. It includes Gates doing the Robot.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here's the shoe circus one:

I think these are hilarious and a smart move by Windows to go after Mac's. Plus, PC's don't crash like shitty Mac's do.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Uh ... what? We've not had a problem with any of our personal Macs over the years.

But those Seinfeld/Gates ads are hilarious. I wonder how much of it is written by Seinfeld.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've never had a personal Mac, just ones at work that crash at will.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Windows Vista blows. And Mac advertising gurus are genius for capitalizing on it.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I want to understand. Please tell me what is funny about the shoe circus ad.
    The word "pleather"? Taking a shower with your clothes on? Oh, stop, I'm rolling in the floor ...

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How old? Older than the ones Buckdub uses at work? (Which would make them pretty damned old.)

And seriously ... there's a reason Windows is known for the blue screen of death. Pretty much any Unix variant (and Mac OS X is a Unix variant) handles system resources better than Windows. (And ... no spyware. No viruses. No Trojans.)

Hell, even Microsoft admits Vista blows: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/shattered_dreams_and_broken_promises_vistas_failure_launch?page=0%2C0

And the commercials suck. Seriously unfunny and have nothing to do with any of Microsoft's product lines. Not nearly the equal of Apple's "'Hi, I'm a Mac.' 'And I'm a PC.'" advertisements, which rock.

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The "I'm a Mac." "I'm a PC" commercials are among the most un-funny things ever. The psuedo-cool Mac guy is perhaps the most annoying guy in commercials right now. Ugh. I hate him.

The Microsoft commercials are more head-scratching than funny. I always think I've missed something.

Never tried Vista, but my new work Mac is possessed and has done odder things in six weeks than my home Dell (with XP) has done in two years. I don't mind working on Mac's per se, but I've had nothing but problems with them in terms of reliability. The Dell has its own issues, but it's predictable.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I think we all know where I stand on the PC vs. Mac issue - a stand solidified by a single new Mac in our office which is truly and completely possessed. The ancient Macs we use at work are also possessed.

Personally, I've had few problems with Vista once I learned its little quirks and tweaked it a bit. Was last June when I took the Vista leap.

The Mac guy commercials are awful. If I did like Macs, I'd hate them just as much as I do now after those commercials. The Microsoft commercials? Haven't seen one yet.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I enjoy those commercials, too. Of course, if Seinfeld released an audio tape of him on the toilet, I'd probably dig that, too.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

What's the deal with the nugget that floats back to the top?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I remember when they first came out, I saw a story that said the Mac commercials made people like PC's more, because John Hodgman (PC) came across as so sad and pathetic that he drew sympathy from viewers.

Draft saved Draft deleted