1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac Users: Which Mac should I buy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What Mac (and model) should I get?

- Mac Pro
    - iMac
    - Mac mini
    - Macbook
    - Macbook Pro

Can anyone give anectodal advice about the difference in speed among these different models and the worthiness of paying more for the top-of-the line versions? I'm a moderate to heavy user and I often have 5 or 6 applications running at the same time. I have taken on broadcast writing projects in the past, and might in the future, where it is helpful to have 5-6 QuickTime movies running simultaneously (my Dell would probably freak out), along with a Word document and Excel spreadsheet and the Internet.

I've had two lovely Mac iBooks through work. I'm pretty tough on laptops, loading and unloading a lot (3-4 times per day) and sometimes using them in harsh environs, and in my experience, the hardware from the Mac notebooks have not been up to the challenge.

Now I am using a Dell Insprion and I cannot wait to get back into a Mac. I'm very heavily leaning towards getting a desktop to use at home while keeping the laptop for on-the-move work usage. I don't have an iPod but enjoyed iTunes from time to time, but not make-or-break. The apps I use most are:

Word
    Sony Sound Forge
    RealPlayer
    Quicktime
    Internet
    Photoshop
    Messenger
    Excel
    Outlook
    Acrobat

Thanks for any advice.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If the Mac Pro is in your budget, get it.

The Mac mini wouldn't suit your needs. And while I love my home iMac, it sounds like you might need more power than it has.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i dunno... my best friend runs a webdesign business and does everything on an imac. he loves it. that said, he does have it set up wtih an extra monitor, which does make a world of difference

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The one that has the three letters stamped on it:

I - B - M

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

welcome to 1989

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Only if you are a member of the "democrat" party . It a computer for the left leaning.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Point, you obviously know of the advantages of a Mac. It is, of course, not a "1989" question. PCs are better with word-based programs; Macs are better with art-based programs and generally more stable.

I use an I-Mac at work, and I can tell you it has plenty of power. Among the programs which run, and run fast:

Photoshop
    Illustrator
    Quark
    Aldus Freehand
    Internet Explorer
    A secondary Mac-based browser, the name of which escapes me

I-Macs are great for music ... and they're as user-friendly as you can get.

8. Point of Order

Thanks Shot. That's what I was looking for. I think the iMac can probably hang with me.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You realize, of course, that they don't make laptops any more.

Sold their ThinkPad business to Lenovo, at least a year ago.

10. Point of Order

Spoken like a true shareholder.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I usually stick with Kraft, but no crazy shapes like dinosaurs and stuff.
    I guess the store brands are alright.
    When I was kid I liked the Velveeta shells and cheese, but I won't eat that now.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

MacPro if you can afford it.

Get a laptop and if you can swing it, hook up a monitor to it. No sense in being perma-desk-bound.

If you wait like a month, they'll probably add more stuff and drop the prices.

Draft saved Draft deleted