1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac buyer's remorse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Feb 21, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Spending three grand on a Mac if all you're doing is surfing the net, downloading tunes or sending e-mails is like the person spends a $1,000 on hockey equipment but doesn't know how to skate.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do many people still have desktop computers? I ditched mine for good a few years ago...

I've had the same HP Pavilion for about four years now and would love to ditch it for a Mac. It's still working fine, but if I hadn't bought the extended warranty from Best Buy, I would have been fucked... I've had all kinds of problems, some of which were my fault, some not...

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Yeah BTE, according to Junkie, whose ignorance is more than evident on this thread. ::)

I'm admittedly biased. I grew up using Macs in elementary school, and was spoiled to live in a household that at one point had 11 Apple computers in a household of four, and none of the machines were more than three years old. (I guess that's kinda rare, but my parents were both writers working from home and we all had at least one laptop and a couple shared desktops throughout the house.) All three dailies I've worked at have newsrooms filled with Macs.

Obviously when your first car is a Rolls Royce, Geos are going to seem like shit. I can't count the number of times I've heard misguided Windows-using friends talk about how many computer problems they've had or times they've wanted to throw their machines out the window.

I've gotten more use on a PC than ever this semester in an intro computer science course, but I still can't get over their flaws.

What it boils down to after price is that you're going to feel comfortable and superior on whichever platform you are comfortable or have had success with over the years. I can't imagine people who are actually comfortable with their PCs, but I know they exist.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a believeable person who knows both PCs and Macs yet favors the PC.

Give it some time — it's way too early for remorse. Sounds like you just aren't comfortable with a Mac, which is understandable. Ninety-five percent of the market share isn't.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I don't deny that. Just think Macs are a helluva lot more elegant. Better designed machines. For what I use it for at home, I wouldn't even think of a PC.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Not that hard pressed. I prefer PCs. My first computer was an Apple as well. But, for what I want/need to do, they simply do not work. Since my needs cannot be met due to the decisions by Apple, I feel confident choosing a different platform.

To return to a previous point...
    Many Apple users become rather religious to the brand and the product based on its incredibly good marketing as a counter-culture artsy product. It sort of feeds upon itself.

Desktops serve a great purpose. They are easily expandable, last longer and have much larger screens for less money. I have multiple of both, but the laptop doesn't really get used at home. It works great on road for portability's sake. But there is no reason, when I'm at home, to be staring at a 15" screen.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'v always wondered that about PC's. The design hasn't changedi in 25 years.

They're plain flat out ugly.

Mac spends money to make their computers aesthetically pleasing. Problem is, some people think well designed, beautiful objects are either European or gay. :)

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Build your own PC then. You don't have to buy an ugly light gray box.

The best looking computers are those built by individuals and they aren't Macs.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Junkie, listen to this senior citizen. :)

I know what you're saying--which was essentially what I was saying. For most people, a Mac is the equivalent of a BMW parked in your driveway.

However, if you're involved in serious graphic design or film work, Mac is the only way to go.

Like I said, I don't know a single book designer who uses anything but a Mac.

In certain instances, it's not just a perceived luxury, it's a necessity.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Junkie,
    Slowly, ever so slowly, we're agreeing on more and more. :)

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Well, I was speaking about the system design, but... yeah, Macs are a helluva lot more asthetically pleasing as well. Good point.

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I'd love the snickers from your goodie bag. Wait. That doesn't sound very good.

Anyways, learning to like the Mac. Very easy to use. I've been able to pick up on some stuff pretty quickly that's making this easy.

12. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

My man, I've never been involved in an SportsJournalists.com pissing match and I'm not really trying to change that. "6-year-old" and "prepubescent" just make you sound like an ass. As far as "daddy's credit card," I bought my current iBook G4 with my own money. The price tag was only a few hundred dollars more than a crappy PC notebook, and fortunately I'm smart enough to never go down that road. So, I didn't "blow my entire wad," and you're further proving my point about your ignorance when you say Macs do "the exact same thing as this less-expensive thing."

It's clear you don't know one iota about Macs. I'm not "trumpeting my praises" about my BMW. I'd really like to hear you try to explain how PCs are cheaper equivalents to Macs, not just word processors/gaming machines with operating systems and features always three three years behind Apple.

Draft saved Draft deleted