1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac buyer's remorse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Feb 21, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There were things I loved about using Macs when I worked at newspapers, like the lack of viruses and the easy interfaces. That being said, the lack of "fun" software for the Mac is a big turnoff for me.

People who have this "I love Macs but HATE PCs" remind me a lot of those people who decry the quality of Chevys while praising Fords. For those of us without that level of passion, it's just a car, or just a computer. As long as it works and has few problems, I really don't care which "brand" it is.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I have a PC that is older that which is still running. So, yes, a PC owner can say that.

It really is how you use it and take care of it. I have purchased new computers which serve other purposes. There are also things that I do which cannot be done on a Mac. So, for that there other other issues.

For standard home use, the units are pretty much swappable.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Alley, you have to remember that in the early days they operated in parallel universes.

The software wasn't compatible between Macs and PC's and quite frankly, Macs were a thousand times more user friendly.

But right now, rather than a Ford/Chevy argument it's more like a Ford/BMW argument as Junkie pointed out.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK, so my analogy wasn't totally accurate. The spirit of it is what stands, though. For some of you, the use of Mac or PC is like a religion. For me, it's whether I can connect to the Internet, type, play, etc., without many problems.

It's kinda like my car. I bought my 2000 Sunfire brand new, although it had hail damage from a recent storm. What it meant was I got a new car for a much cheaper price, and it's a car that a) has almost never given me a problem, b) cost me a lot less and c) still runs. Who cares what it looks like or who made it?

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I am on an eMachine at home, and it's now five years old almost to the day. No problems, no service, no nothing. Been great.

However, I still prefer a Mac over a PC.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know what you mean.

As we used to say in high school about cars, "It's got four wheels and it beats walking".

I'm not evangelical about Macs. Would just rather have one than a PC.

Plus, in design terms, there's no comparison. The Dell we have at home is a big fucking dump truck. But it was cheap. :)

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

My Compaq laptop is three years old and does the job.
    Still, I would love to go to a Mac, and I likely will with my next purchase considering I on work on a college campus and get a great discount now, but it'll be hard to give up the pirated software I've acquired over the years (inc. InDesign, Quark, Dreamweaver educational version, Photoshop CS2). Fortunately, the university also has a discount on software.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Use InDesign, Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator and Freehand on both PCs (at work) and Mac (at home) nearly every day. Absolutely no comparison for the machines. Mac - hands down.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

but most people don't use those things in everyday, at home life. At work? Sure. But we don't get to choose those computers.

For most home computers, which people use to chat, download music, search the Web and piss away time...PCs are more than enough.

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

What a coincidence. I told my wife the exact same thing last night.

Sorry, back to the topic. I have a Dell desktop at home, a Mac laptop for work. Have no complaints with either of them, except the Dell's damn hard drive crashed last year and we lost every freaking thing on it and it took an act of God to get them to fix it. I guess I complained a little then.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

True.

I like my Mac because of iTunes (which I know works with PCs). I like iMovie and iDVD. Combined, they've allowed me to transfer old wedding and vacation videos onto DVD. I like iPhoto. I love not having to worry about viruses. I like Safari as a browser.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey Fuerte... sorry you had to spend so much money...
    I'll buy lunch... want my Snickers bar from the goodie bag?

Draft saved Draft deleted