1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mac buyer's remorse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Feb 21, 2007.

1. I sort of went through this about a month ago. I've always used a PC as my main computer, going back to the DOS days of around 1990.

I bought a Mac Mini last year because I'd always had this itch to switch to a Mac full-time; I used them when I worked at the newspaper and even bought myself an iBook in 2001 that I rarely used except when filing stories from the road. But when I started using the Mini it just didn't feel right. It wasn't Windows. Where's the "Start" button? The Mini is now my wife's computer; it replaced an antique Windows machine, so she didn't care.

Fast forward a year, I get ahold of an extra few grand from student loans, and decide to buy one of the new 24-inch iMacs (with the Apple education discount since I'm back in college!). I haven't looked back since. The new Macs are Intel-based, so you can run Windows (inside the Mac OS with a $79 program called Parrallels) or as a dual-boot with a program I believe that is free called Bootcamp. I've run Windows all of about three times on this thing to use Quicken, which I don't have a Mac version of yet.

I think the kicker for me making the switch and finally liking it was splurging on MS Office for Macs (oh, and the 24-inch screen). It's really the only Windows program I couldn't do without and the education version of Office for Macs (online you just have to tell them you're in school to get the discount ... not that I'm endorsing it, though I did buy the Mini when my daughter was in preschool and I hadn't started back yet -- she needed it for school the next year!) is around $159.

Office for Mac, the 24-inch screen and the iLife suite of software that comes with all new Macs make it superior to Windows in my book. Making/editing home movies, managing photos etc. is so much easier with a Mac. Like others have said, give it some time. Visit the apple.com support forums for tips on making the switch from Windows. Good luck.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Amen. [/admittedMacfanboylooser]

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Lord, do I hate my Mac.

I am typing on an HP desktop I've had for a couple years. Never had a serious problem with it. Hell, my brother and mom use an eMachine that's still running 4-5 years later, and that's supposedly a piece of shit.

My Mac laptop, however? Sometimes I'll shut it down, screen goes black, little indicator light is off...I set it down, come back the next day, and pushing the power button does nothing. I close it, the front light is on. Apparently, my OS X starts up WHENEVER IN THE FUCK IT WANTS TO. So I have to hold down the power button to shut it down, restart it, then have it say "This computer was restarted after an OS X error" or something. Took it to the Apple store to have one of their "geniuses" (cocky much?) work on it. They looked at it for a couple hours, ran "diagnostic discs' and in the end said "We have no idea what you're talking about, but everything seems fine here."

By the time I got it home, it had done it again.

Fucking Mac.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You'll never get a virus... remember that while you eat Ramen noodles...

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Count me in the "Macs are terribly overrated and overpriced" crowd.

We have a Macbook in the family and what I hate most about it -- you can't double click on the pad. Drives me nuts.

Also, the names of all the little functions are too-cute-by-half. I actually find Windows to be more intuitive.

And as for the virus issue -- it's like Hillary's lead in the polls, i.e. a creation of the media. I've used Toshiba laptops for years in all kinds of public places and have never had a virus (knock wood). Use protection, people!

And don't get me started on the "Genius bar" at the Apple store or my unending trouble with Ipods.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, I love my nano. No beef with that whatsoever.

But my Mac laptop, which I've had for a few months? Wish I could return it tomorrow.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I love mac/pc fights.

To me, they're all just fucking computers. I work on both, and I wish I could give both of them up for Lent.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Apple makes a wonderful operating system. I put no stock in their computers as they are not really different than PCs.

I'm not very happy with Vista and I'm going to need to tool with it more to determine what I want for my next home computer.

I'm not a big fan of Apple and their company's actions. They are also more style than substance. But, we'll see how things progress this year.
    Sorry Junkie, but this is just silly. There is a difference.

However, if someone doesn't have the money, it is a much wiser choice to go with the VW. Better yet, buy a Honda or Toyota to get the better gas mileage.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Look at it this way:

With a PC, you absolutely must have virus protection.

With a Mac, it's not needed at all.

So that's not really a media creation any more than STDs are. Sure, if you use "protection" you lessen the chances you'll catch anything.

But wouldn't you rather be able to not have that worry at all?

You CAN spend three grand for a Mac.

Or you can spend $1,200. Like I did. I've been using the same machine since January 1999. Can any PC owners say that? So did I make a foolish purchase?

Today I could by an iMac that is MUCH more advanced than the one I own . . . for $999. Hardly a "Bentley" purchase.

I own a Lexus (1990) and a Mac (1999), which COMBINED cost me $6,500 out of pocket . . . yet according to Junkie I'm a foolish consumer because I own a Lexus and a Mac.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Never had a Mac notebook but first computer was Mac Classic, circa 1987. Had two more plus used them in every place I've worked (except now).

If you're basically using your computer as a word processor, you don't need a Mac.

However, every single book designer I know uses a Mac. Most film people use Macs.

And remember that old joke: What do Mac users call Windows '95? Mac '84.

Oh, and the "Macs don't get viruses" is not a media invention.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Hey, don't mess with The Warren P. Cheswick Experience![/edlooserfanboy]

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You're kidding? You don't like these ads? They're damn near the funniest thing on TV right now ... not that that's saying much.

Draft saved Draft deleted