1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

M. Night Shamlamadingdong's not fooling anyone anymore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jun 12, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Big fat F from The Plain Dealer.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/REVIEWS/545929629

A B from Ebert.

3. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Wow, a rare misstep from the big man. At least he acknowledges that he'll be in the minority: "I suspect I'll be in the minority in praising this film. It will be described as empty, uneventful, meandering."

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Figured The Sixth Sense out about ten minutes into the movie.

Guy's a low rent version of Hitchcock and The Twilight Zone.

One star (out of four) in the Globe today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080613.whappening13/BNStory/Entertainment/home

Being risibly bad, The Happening is at least worth a laugh. Exactly one laugh, by my reckoning, and completely unintended but no less full-throated for that. However, before we get to it, let's dispense with writer-director M. Night Shyamalan who, more to the point, is doing such a splendid job dispensing with himself. My, but his career has devolved into its own horror show, enjoying that early success with The Sixth Sense but falling off quickly with Unbreakable and Signs, then plunging precipitously through The Village and Lady in the Water and now this resounding splat.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Have you seen it? Because calling it a misstep before seeing it is a little stupid.

I loved Signs and just liked the rest of his stuff, except Lady in the Water, which I didn't see.

I also loved his appearance on South Park in the Imagination Land episodes:

[​IMG]

"That's not a story. That's an ending."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Onion's AV Club gave it a D-.
    It at least looks interesting.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Sixth Sense (thought thought the "twist" was somewhat unnecessary) and liked Unbreakable and even liked The Village (before the twist). But I do think he should try and make a movie outside of his "genre."

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is simply fuckin awesome.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Beej, you have such a fucking hardon for M. Night. Are you in love? In denial?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

He sucks more than JJ Abrams.

Compared to M. Night Shamalamadingdong, JJ Abrams is Night Ranger merged with Def Leppard and Bryan Adams into a package of awesome.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Just let it out. Let yourself love him. Be true to yourself.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I give it a C+.
    It certainly didn't deserve and R rating, but some of the shots/images are arresting.
    When you consider the success of movies like 'Transformers,' it is hard to be so critical of this movie.
    It was not a good movie, but it was still more interesting than 90 percent of mainstream releases.

Draft saved Draft deleted