1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lynn Hoppes to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Confirmed by Lynn himself.

Lynn Hoppes, Associate Managing Editor/Sports and APSE national president, is leaving the Orlando Sentinel to become Senior Director of Page 2 and Columnists for ESPN.com.

2. Didn't Lynn write an APSE column last year about how all the writers needed to be loyal to newspapers, even after they were laid off?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This is an interesting move..

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm pretty sure this has been in the works for some time. I was hearing rumors of these talks a while back.
    Good for Lynn.

5. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

It was good P.R., to "further the discussion." I read about that kind of thing on the Twitter thread. You quote people saying something they never said, or you say things that really aren't true, or you stretch the truth, or you rub perfume on a pig, and it aids journalists because it furthers the discussion and helps get your message out. Something like that. You can't take it literally. It's just good P.R., and as the leader of the APSE, he had to put a good spin on things. It worked. You believed it.

Or did you?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So the presidency of APSE is a PR job?

7. I don't think it's a bad move and I don't begrudge him. I don't even know him. But from a guy who was working overtime to guilt people into sticking with newspapers, it comes off just slightly hypocritical. I mean, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. That was his message, no?

8. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Sorta looks that way right now, doesn't it?

And I echo what Waylon just posted. Every word. Happy for the dude. Really am. But, wfw, what Waylon said.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good for Lynn... This one has been rumored forever.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

11. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I guess he got the buyout he was demanding for months.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Why is that? Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Draft saved Draft deleted