1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LVRJ: bush administration wants random drug testing of high school students

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, May 23, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Performance enhancing drugs.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And the average knucklehead among us won't even realize it until it comes back to haunt him. The government knew exactly what it was doing when it made "greedy spoiled" athletes one of the first targets of its assault on privacy rights. Everyone cheered them on. I laugh whenever I read how proud the Game of Shadows authors were when the president patted them on the head for their great work of public service.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I was actually disgusted.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The reason why any student in a club (that includes teams) can be drug tested is that they have the potential to leave the school grounds with this club. That means no school nurse and limited staff coverage. A student with a drug problem would be an unsafe hazard in these types of situations. Think of traveling on a bus to a game two hours away and a kid is trying to shoot up in the backseat.

Because they are going off of school grounds, they are subject to a different set of rules.

Drug dogs in schools I do not have a problem with. Schools are supposed to be safe places. You have 150 staff looking over 3,000 students in a high school. What if your home was a 20-1 ratio of parents to teens? Would you do these things as well.?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Devil --

That's a BIG stretch.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If I didn't have the ability to laugh at the absurdity I'd spend a lot of time crying.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, they managed to brainwash someone.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm curious (seriously, just curious, not being argumentative here) ... Testing as a member of the general student population, or testing as an eligibility requirement for extracurricular activies?

I've talked to no small number of high school coaches who want to do it for their teams and make it a condition of participation. The rationale they use is, "We just want to give them another reason not to do drugs."

I can sort of see the logic in that, although it's another small step toward having the schools raise your kids for you. Extracurricular activities are optional. On the other hand, having compulsory attendance in school and then requiring drug tests of those compulorily enrolled students flies in the face of every principle upon which this country was founded.

9. Drug testing without probable cause is offensive to the spirit and to the letter of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments to the Constitution. Period. Full stop. Finis. Fin.
    That we have largely abandoned the task of caring about that is irrelevant.
    My daughter effectively will have no functioning civil rights every time she walks through the doors of her HS next year -- the place where she is supposed to be taught what it means to be a citizen of the United States, which has a Bill of Rights.
    That's what I care about.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not only is this what Fenian said 100 percent correct, but this kind of thinking makes no sense.

Studies show that participation in extracurricular activities leads to lower drug use levels and lower drug problem levels.

So if these coaches get their way, and they test their kids, what happens to the kids who get caught?

They get kicked off the team.

Leaving them plenty of free time to indulge themselves.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

novelist, the Fenian said it all, as only he can.

To be fair, I think we are incensed about the possibility of it spilling over to the general population in high school, which, with these people, is a distinct one.

Extracurricularly, do we draw distinction between varsity football and the Latin Club? I don't know about that.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Any bets on how many more potheads are members of the Latin Club vs. the varsity football team? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted