1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lupica on Today show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 17, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you just abolished tryouts and put signs on the lockerroom doors that said Pee Wee A and Pee Wee B, the kids would separate themselves close to perfectly.

The bubble kids wouldn't know where to go, because, well, they're bubble kids. Everybody else generally knows.

The only problem with doing that would be you'd end up with too many kids in the B locker room.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Before say age 12 why even have A/B/C travel teams? Its better to split up talent equally between 3 teams. It makes everyone better.

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

The thinking is that the higher the level of competition, the more the players will improve. And stay motivated, especially if they're an A level player on a line with B and C level players.

I'm not saying it's right, just the way it is.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Agreed, Boom.

Pee Wees are generally 12-13.

And every year in the association I coach in, we divide the Pee Wee's by ability and everyone below into equal teams.

And every year a new set of parents comes through and thinks their kid invented the game and they raise a stink about dividing by ability at squirt. As though their kid is too good to play with the weaker players.

And every year there's a huge spat about it.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

You obviously never saw the South Park episode where Stan takes over a struggling pee-wee hockey team. They go to a Colorado Avalanche game, and the Avs give them a chance to take on the Red Wings in the third period of a tie game.
    The Wings absolutely destroy them. It's awesome.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At the younger ages its wrong to pigeon hole kids into ABC format. Its too discouraging on "c" type players.

I would imagine that going to ABC format as opossed to balanced teams takes a program with 90% satisfaction rating down to 50 % with most in that group feeling that their kid should be an A player.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's WAY too early at 8-10 --

Because, for one thing, it's a system that rewards kids who grow early, not necessarily the kids who WILL BE the best athletes.

But coaches will take the kids who will make the best players that year, rather than take a smaller kid who wouldn't be successful at the top level despite superior motor skills.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Pewees is when the ABC thing comes into play here. DOB determines the age cutoffs. The A team usually has the top players, then there's an attempt to level it out at B and then at C. The discouragement kicks in more as they get older, close to HS age.

I don't know if you'd find a 90% satisfaction rating in any youth sport. Hope I'm wrong.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

the entire "a-b-c" crap really ticks me off. kids get pigeonholed at 8 or so, as if anyone really knows dick at that point in terms of a child's physical or athletic long-term development. cripes, how i despise what youth leagues around the country have become.

i'm very much a "let our children be children" adult. 8) :eek: :eek:

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because a highly motivated 11 year old wants to play with/against kids who are roughly at the same talent level.

If you have widly varying degrees of talent on a house league team, it doesnt make the best players "better". Sure, some of them will love that they're the cock of the walk, but lots of them will get positively bored.

You can identify talent at 10 and 11 years old. It doesn't mean the fucking nutbar parents have to get their kid an agent or, as is often the case up here, have their 11 year old play hockey 12 months of the year. That's nuts.

Kids get it. They know the talented ones on the team and unlike some of the parents, they aren't jealous.

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Training facilities have become very big. Year-round training to increase speed, agility, etc. Kids 10 and up go. All sports are covered.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No offense, JR, but I call bullshit.

An 11-year-old wants to play hockey with his friends.

His parents want the validation that comes with the A team.

The kids know who the better athletes are from the pond and the sandlot. They don't need the AAA jackets.

The parents do.

Draft saved Draft deleted