1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lupica on Today show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 17, 2007.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Back on track.

In the soccer league one of my kids played in we were told no snacks. None. League rules. Age was 11-12. Before that rule we had to have player approval (our kid) for anything we brought. And we had to have enough for the brothers and sisters who came over to the snack and juice scrum also, which was fine.

I never want to see another Ring Pop.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I agree with Ashy.

Look, there are kids who don't want to play with other kids who can't keep up. Christ, that happens with 8 year olds.

Kids know inherently who the better players are. I mean, they're not idiots.

Now, as I have said repeatedly, some of those better kids are quite happy playing in house league but the self motivated ones want to test themselves.

You stick parents in there and that's another kettle of fish. Some parents just want to let their kids play at the highest level possible without interfering. Others--the parents from hell--see their kids as some sort of commodity and are looking at a payout down the road that 99.9 times out of a hundred never comes.

That said, letting your kid play elite level sports doesn't automatically make you a bad parent.

And yes, I'm all in favour of kids throwing their sticks at centre ice.

And you know what? When that happens there's an automatic self-policing procedure.

If you have two teams and one wins 10-0, then most kids will change up the teams to make it more competitive.

This notion that Zag seems to have that pick-up games are inherently better than structured ones is nonsensical nostalgia.

Oh, and lots of parents whine and bitch about the horrors of travel teams.

A lot of the compaints are justified but for some of them it really means they don't want to give up their bowling league nights. They're the worst hypocrites.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't disagree with any of that, JR.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was the king of snacks. Granola bars and organic apple cider. :)

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So you still love me, right. :)

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

The kids loved you, I'm sure.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have to.

You're my ride to the hippie transgender NORML rally.

I ain't drinking no organic cider, though.

Tim's coffee, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted